Messing with the battery makes system report it at 5%

KingLo

Reaction score
Messed a the system files trying to restore a couple bloatware apps. and got bootlooped. so I figure a good ole battery pull would do it. so I pull the sticker off the back. unscrewed the connector circuit for the battery. and then the phone wouldn't power on. So I figure no biggie. It was at 90% before I started probably just a hiccup somewhere. so I plug into my wall charger and it reports 5% then it goes to 100% after about 5 sec. so I pull out the charger and instantly my phone turns off again. SO I try to connect it to my computer. it gives me a green light telling me it's connected but does not power on. So I suggest you don't mess with the battery. My phone is headed back to verizon now.

Kack

Reaction score
im interested to see what they say or do regarding an exchange. when i bought my d4 the vzw csr made it a point to keep telling me to not remove the tape or mess with the battery and that if i had any issues i would have to bring it in. let us know what they do and say. it would be good to know! good luck.

OP
K

KingLo

Reaction score
Will do. There is no visible evidence of tampering. besides a small scratch on one of the corners that didn't come from me pulling the battery but from me trying to get that infernal door off. Speaking of which I can't find that little plastic key anywhere.

Kack

Reaction score
lol yea i couldnt find the key and i just wanted to get the back off just to see it more. i dont pull my sd card or sim card so i dont really need to pull the back door. but i suppose a tooth pick will work if i lose the key.

Sparkimus

Reaction score
Messed a the system files trying to restore a couple bloatware apps. and got bootlooped. so I figure a good ole battery pull would do it. so I pull the sticker off the back. unscrewed the connector circuit for the battery. and then the phone wouldn't power on. So I figure no biggie. It was at 90% before I started probably just a hiccup somewhere. so I plug into my wall charger and it reports 5% then it goes to 100% after about 5 sec. so I pull out the charger and instantly my phone turns off again. SO I try to connect it to my computer. it gives me a green light telling me it's connected but does not power on. So I suggest you don't mess with the battery. My phone is headed back to verizon now.

Did holding volume down and power for 10 seconds not do anything?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

OP
K

KingLo

Reaction score
Did holding volume down and power for 10 seconds not do anything?

Yes it does what it normally would do while its plugged into a wall charger. however as soon as you disconnect the wall charger the the phone turns off immediately and will not power on. because like every moto phone Ive ever seen it won't power on at 5%.

@kack

I actually had it spread out to take a picture of it but I was pressed for time. Anybody with a t-6 (Or maybe it was 5) torx screwdriver can take the battery off. peel the sticker pull the rubber placer and unscrew the tiny little screws. I really Really don't understand why the battery isn't replaceable. I was beginning to get sucked into moto's eco system with my motoactv and all, but I don't think I'll be trading this phone for another droid 4. I'm just gonna eat the $35 return fee and wait for a new phone this summer. My droid 2 isn't too far behind the curb.

Sparkimus

Reaction score
You probably damaged the battery when taking it out. The reason it isn't removable is because they are using a different type of battery that is more fragile but is supposed to be better and take up less space.

tdpolo26

Reaction score

so apparently the system knows when there is a battery pull this is important to know. in the future you will prolly have to put jumpers from another battery on to maintain the circuit. I wouldnt have pulled it though. YOU DIDNT ACTUALLY PULL THE WHOLE BATTERY DID YOu, cause that prolly damaged it.

OP
K

KingLo

Reaction score
so apparently the system knows when there is a battery pull this is important to know. in the future you will prolly have to put jumpers from another battery on to maintain the circuit. I wouldnt have pulled it though. YOU DIDNT ACTUALLY PULL THE WHOLE BATTERY DID YOu, cause that prolly damaged it.

Yes I pulled the whole battery out. It's not as stuck in there as people make it out to be; only thing holding it in place is tape quality adhesive and 2 small torx screws.

OP
K

KingLo

Reaction score
Update: Verizon took it and my $35,no problem.

tdpolo26

Reaction score
Yes I pulled the whole battery out. It's not as stuck in there as people make it out to be; only thing holding it in place is tape quality adhesive and 2 small torx screws.

yeah i didnt think it was to tough to get out it just worries me that we might not be able to do a user replaceable battery in the even our batteries give out. out of curiosity when the battery came out was it bent at all or anything or maybe it just had a bad connection going back in.

OP
K

KingLo

Reaction score
yeah i didnt think it was to tough to get out it just worries me that we might not be able to do a user replaceable battery in the even our batteries give out. out of curiosity when the battery came out was it bent at all or anything or maybe it just had a bad connection going back in.

My guess is something disconnected between the circuit and the battery connection or something triggered when the I disconnected it. either way It wasn't worth it for me My buyer's remorse was pretty bad. I'm going to wait for something quadcore.