Market - Download Unsuccessful

mbeatle

Reaction score
In an attempt to buy Weather Forecast Widgets this weekend, I discovered that American Express can't be used for foreign currency purchases through the Market (though I've never had a problem with it elsewhere).

I also find that I'm unable to download the application. It is finally "authorized" but I always get a "download unsuccessful" when I attempt to download it. I've tried clearing the cache and data from the download manager, market, and market updater, then rebooting, but that did nothing. What do I have to do to get this installed? Hopefully I won't have this issue every time I attempt to purchase an app. Free downloads have never had any problem.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was the app you purchased actually charged to your card? I know some people had issues with the foreign currency.... resolution was to get a pre-paid credit card (I think Wal-Mart was an option) or something along those lines to use just for the Market.... help protect your credit as well :)

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
my first "foreign purchase" with a Mastercard tagged a $15 charge onto a Euro0.99 purchase... i never made that mistake again

OP
M

mbeatle

Reaction score
Well, I did use a virtual account number with a $20 limit that's linked to my actual card. Oddly enough I don't see a charge on my account. I'll attempt to redo it and try again this afternoon. You'd think that something as important as an income stream for Google would be better implemented, especially since the Market has been around for over a year.

Actually, now that I look at it, I don't see a way to uninstall the application. When I tap on the notification that says the download was unsuccessful, it only gives me the option to install it.

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
my first "foreign purchase" with a Mastercard tagged a $15 charge onto a Euro0.99 purchase... i never made that mistake again
Really? I use a Mastercard and have only seen foreign charges under $1.
Well, I did use a virtual account number with a $20 limit that's linked to my actual card. Oddly enough I don't see a charge on my account. I'll attempt to redo it and try again this afternoon. You'd think that something as important as an income stream for Google would be better implemented, especially since the Market has been around for over a year.
Yes, you would think revenue stream would be close to perfected :)

OP
M

mbeatle

Reaction score
Well, I'm still having issues getting them to take the number. I called Citi and they show no record of any declined charges on my account or any issues with the virtual account. I attempted to retry the charge and it failed again. I also re-added the virtual account, double-checking for accuracy and it failed again.

I've never had such a headache when trying to buy something so simple. Is there a hold greater than the value of the app being purchased or something? The number has a $20 limit and expires in 1 year. I have my Amex also tied to my Google Checkout, but the option to use that card is greyed out. Maybe they don't deal with Google anymore?

I clicked a few buttons and pasted in my Google order number, so hopefully I'll hear back from someone about this.

Sp4zZ

Reaction score
I'm having this same problem trying to install Pure Grid Calendar app, it says "purchased" in the market but when I try to download and install I get the same "download unsuccessfull" message, help!

OP
M

mbeatle

Reaction score
I got a reply from my inquiry last night around 5am. Good response time, but the person is clueless. They are telling me I tried to use an American Express and that Google checkout does not support Amex for purchases not in US dollars (they should say that somewhere). Good try, but if they pulled up the receipt of the order, it would show that it has been trying to charge my Mastercard several times. Amex is not listed anywhere. I copied the receipt into the email and explained. Hopefully I get somewhere today.

OP
M

mbeatle

Reaction score
To test my theory, I tried making an online purchase elsewhere with my virtual account number and it, too, was declined. Guess I'll tell Citi to get their stuff together now... :icon_evil:

OP
M

mbeatle

Reaction score
Any reason? I'm really liking the Weather Forecast Widgets. Well worth $1.43. :)

dj928

Reaction score
I'm getting the download unsuccessful message every time I try to load anything. Never had this problem before. What does this mean?