LG's Latest Wireless Charger Chip Breakthrough Can Give 50% Battery Life in Just 30 Mins

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-wireless-charger.jpg

LG Innotek (subsidiary of LG) recently had a wireless charging breakthrough which will be coming to retail products soon. It's a wireless charging chip that can actually charge your phone's battery up to 50% in just 30 minutes. Their new tech is a 15-watt wireless charging transmitter, which is 3 times higher than typical wireless chargers.

The best part about this breakthrough is that it won't require completely new phone tech to work. It is actually compatible with the major wireless charging standards: Wireless Power Consortium and AirFuel, the alliance between PMA and A4WP (and a few others as well). LG plans to mass produce the tech later this year.

Source: LG Innotek unveils upgraded wireless charging modules

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Surprising for a company that left wireless charging out of the V10.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Any research done regarding the amount of radiation emitted from these devices? More specifically, when not in use (or in use) does this device emit more of "it"?

Last edited:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Surprising for a company that left wireless charging out of the V10.
It has wireless charging enabled, but you have to do what they did with g4. Either buy a different back cover with wireless charging antenna, or buy a wireless charging antenna and attach to your current back cover.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Any research done regarding the amount of radiation emitted from these devices? More specifically, when not in use (or in use) does this device emit more of "it"?
I understand the concern for how much background Electromagnetic Radiation (EMR) we are all being subject to, however this 15 watt wireless charger is emitting a pittance of EMR when compared to SO many other appliances and charging apparatus in the home. For instance, the charger for my Thinkpad is a 135 watt charger, so in theory it's potentially emitting upwards of 9 times the EMR of the wireless charging pad mentioned here. Use a home blender or other motor based appliance (1.5 HP Garbage Disposal for instance), and you're reaching many multiples of the EMR that even my laptop charger is emitting.

It's also been reported that QI wireless chargers only emit EMR in any real amounts when the phone is in charging position, Since they are "intelligent chargers", they are looking for the phone with very low level power, just enough to detect the phone's presence. Until they sense the phone they will not turn on the actual charging currents, and that EMR emitted during actual charging is very localized (tight magnetic field). See Qi Charging. Is the radiation harmful? and How does Qi wireless charging work?.

That said, these devices don't need to emit anything until you plug them in, and if you don't have your phone sitting on it, you're wasting some (not much but...), electricity constantly, 24/7/365. In fact you ought to put all "wall warts" or otherwise called wall charger adapters on their own switched power strip and only energize the power strip when you need the device charger to be active. This will do two things, one...it will eliminate all but the necessary EMR from your immediate environment, and two...it will save SOME electricity costs over time.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
It has wireless charging enabled, but you have to do what they did with g4. Either buy a different back cover with wireless charging antenna, or buy a wireless charging antenna and attach to your current back cover.
My point was that it should have come out of the box included. Not having to buy a $50+ (OEM) cover or a cheap knockoff or chinese sticker that may or may not damage the phone. The ridiculous price they charge for the phones nowadays should include something as simple as a $3 wireless sticker. Just my opinion. I own the V10 and love it so I'm not sorry I bought it at all and I rarely use the wireless charging feature anyway.