LG Watch Urbane Heading to the Google Play Store in 13 Countries Before May

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
AT&T Gear S is 4G. I haven't seen an LTE symbol but when I use it for phone calls or data the 4G, not 3G, icon shows up on the screen.
I thought the chip would dictate LTE and I'm not sure the chip in the S supports it .

You're right. I always forget about HSPA+ being called 4G on some GSM networks. I was thinking LTE.

So yeah, no LTE on the Gear S. It's GSM 3G/HSPA+.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
AT&T Gear S is 4G. I haven't seen an LTE symbol but when I use it for phone calls or data the 4G, not 3G, icon shows up on the screen.
I thought the chip would dictate LTE and I'm not sure the chip in the S supports it .

4G or HSPA+ (what your watch is detecting) isn't really 3G or LTE. In the U.S. they are marketing 3.5G as 4G.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
4G or HSPA+ (what your watch is detecting) isn't really 3G or LTE. In the U.S. they are marketing 3.5G as 4G.

Technically HSPA+ has been classified as 4G since 2010. The ITU (International Telecommunication Union), which sets the "official" definitions for things like that, altered their original definition of 4G to include it. LTE wasn't classified as 4G under the original definition either (only LTE-Advanced WiMax2 were).

So, originally HSPT+ and LTE weren't considered 4G from a technical point of view. But now they are. We can each personally see them the way we want to, but technically - based upon the decisions of those who supposedly make those decisions official - they're both 4G now.

ITU says LTE, WiMax and HSPA+ are now officially 4G (Phone Arena)

ITU World Radiocommunication Seminar highlights future communication technologies (ITU)

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
So what you're saying is, the "4G" that we all know & love today is "realistically" still 3G, and once 5G comes out it will actually only be 4G? (Technically speaking) because certain carrier's decided they didn't want to spend the money to upgrade their network, they figured they could simply change the "definitions" and hope we wouldn't know any better. So, realistically we're "1G" behind, but "technically" we should all be happy to be on a 4G, that's "realistically" only 3G. (or 3.5G on LTE)

I don't know what the problem is, it all makes imperfect sense!

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
They reclassified it for the U.S. since we couldn't meet the original standards.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I was just being facetious. I would like to know however, (and you can likely answer this Ollie) are 3 & 4G speeds generally much faster overseas?

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
3G speeds are consistently faster and more available ie. having a stronger signal everywhere.

4G or LTE isn't a huge success where I travel, but when you are in a 4G area the speeds are also faster.

Most people that I associate with feel the same way that I do about 4G/LTE...it is far too large of a battery drain to justify using it when 3G/3.5G is plenty fast enough to accomplish the same goals with a better battery life.

Reactions: cr6

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You're right. I always forget about HSPA+ being called 4G on some GSM networks. I was thinking LTE.

So yeah, no LTE on the Gear S. It's GSM 3G/HSPA+.
So hspa is for network calls also?
I agree Ollie but also from a lower signal 4G is useless AND a battery hog vs 3G in low signal just being a battery hog. That's why I was bummed when Android, Samsung, Verizon, whoever took away my ability to force my phones to 3G and eventually why I left Verizon.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I don't have issues with 4G but there are a number of apps available that will provide you the option of toggling your 2, 3 & 4G. I'm not promoting this app, just using it as an example as it was the first one to pop up when I did a Play Store search. Switch On Off 2G 3G 4G LTE - Android Apps on Google Play
You might give one of these a try if you're experience battery drain due to a poor 4G signal.
These have been available for years, though if I recall correctly they were root dependant back during my Fascinate days. No root required these days.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So hspa is for network calls also?
I agree Ollie but also from a lower signal 4G is useless AND a battery hog vs 3G in low signal just being a battery hog. That's why I was bummed when Android, Samsung, Verizon, whoever took away my ability to force my phones to 3G and eventually why I left Verizon.

So they took away this ability?
Screenshot_2015-04-24-19-01-13.png

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have issues with 4G but there are a number of apps available that will provide you the option of toggling your 2, 3 & 4G. I'm not promoting this app, just using it as an example as it was the first one to pop up when I did a Play Store search. Switch On Off 2G 3G 4G LTE - Android Apps on Google Play
You might give one of these a try if you're experience battery drain due to a poor 4G signal.
These have been available for years, though if I recall correctly they were root dependant back during my Fascinate days. No root required these days.

S5 tap'n
I left Verizon about a year ago. Signal issues solved

So they took away this ability?
View attachment 74736
In talking about the watch in standalone.
I wonder if the Urbane will have advanced calling since that seems to be the future.