LG Watch Urbane Heading to the Google Play Store in 13 Countries Before May

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watch_Urbane_500.jpg

LG just announced the rollout for the LG Watch Urbane will soon commence on the Google Play Store throughout 13 different countries. The smartwatch isn't up for grabs just yet, but it will be available in the Play Store before the end of this month (April). This is the list of countries which will have the device available:
  1. Australia
  2. Canada
  3. France
  4. Germany
  5. Hong Kong
  6. India
  7. Ireland
  8. Italy
  9. Japan
  10. Korea
  11. Spain
  12. United Kingdom
  13. United States
The device will be made available in South Korea first. Here's a recap of the main specs:
  • Chipset: 1.2GHz Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 400
  • Operating System: Android Wear™
  • Display: 1.3-inch P-OLED Display (320 x 320, 245ppi)
  • Size: 45.5 x 52.2 x 10.9mm
  • Memory: 4GB eMMC / 512MB LPDDR2
  • Battery: 410mAh
  • Sensors: 9-Axis (Gyro/ Accelerometer / Compass) / Barometer /
  • PPG (Heart Rate Sensor)
  • Color: Rose Gold / Silver
  • Other: Dust and Water Resistance (IP67)
Sound off if you are planning (or tempted) to get this device!

Source: LG

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The cool thing about this watch is that it doesn't have a proprietary wrist band. Any 22mm band that you see in store/online will be able to work with it.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Now that's a smartwatch I would/could wear. They don't show a side view on their site as of yet, but I really like the style from a direct view standpoint. The fact that it doesn't look like a big clunky smartwatch is really appealing.

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now that's a smartwatch I would/could wear. They don't show a side view on their site as of yet, but I really like the style from a direct view standpoint. The fact that it doesn't look like a big clunky smartwatch is really appealing.

S5 tap'n
My favorite about it is the button on the side. Not offset like you know who, not on the front like Samsung but where a regular watch has them.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

S5 tap'n

I'm not so sure that the OP image is the Urbane. Either that or the Urbane LTE version has 3 buttons and the Urbane has 1.

The-LG-Watch-Urbane-LTE.jpg

The-LG-Watch-Urbane-LTE (1).jpg

458591-hands-on-lg-urbane-urbane-lte-smartwatches.jpg

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm guessing the Gold one in the last image is the Urbane and the Silver is the Urbane LTE?

It looks like the gold one only has one button.

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm guessing the Gold one in the last image is the Urbane and the Silver is the Urbane LTE?

It looks like the gold one only has one button.
Silver one could also be that webOS one that they announced with Audi (or whoever)...

It's a nice looking device, but like I and others have said in other threads, still not quite enough for me to want to upgrade. They're headed in a nice direction though.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Silver one could also be that webOS one that they announced with Audi (or whoever)...

It's a nice looking device, but like I and others have said in other threads, still not quite enough for me to want to upgrade. They're headed in a nice direction though.

Aren't they running with their own software from here on out?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I thought the urbane was still android wear, but the other one was webos, but I could be confused on that. Haven't paid them much attention since they were first announced.

Sent from my Note 4

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Definitely a good looking device.. I like the one in gold, but most likely wait for the second gen...

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm not so sure that the OP image is the Urbane. Either that or the Urbane LTE version has 3 buttons and the Urbane has 1.

Correct. The LTE version has more buttons.

Aren't they running with their own software from here on out?

Not completely. The Urbane LTE will run their custom software based on webOS. The Urbane will run Android Wear. LG hasn't announced any plans to completely replace Wear with their own software for future devices. The big reason why the LTE version needs custom software is because Android Wear doesn't support cellular connectivity or any of the added functions that come along with that. LG might very well want to move towards using their custom software over Wear in the future, but that hasn't been directly stated.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Correct. The LTE version has more buttons.

Not completely. The Urbane LTE will run their custom software based on webOS. The Urbane will run Android Wear. LG hasn't announced any plans to completely replace Wear with their own software for future devices. The big reason why the LTE version needs custom software is because Android Wear doesn't support cellular connectivity or any of the added functions that come along with that. LG might very well want to move towards using their custom software over Wear in the future, but that hasn't been directly stated.

I wonder if that is why Samsung went with Tizen on their Gear S? I'm not sure if it is LTE capable, but it was their first stab at a truly stand alone watch by adding the simcard functionality.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I wonder if that is why Samsung went with Tizen on their Gear S? I'm not sure if it is LTE capable, but it was their first stab at a truly stand alone watch by adding the simcard functionality.

That's exactly why Samsung went with Tizen on the Gear S (well, that and the fact that Samsung likes using Tizen whenever they can). The Gear S is 3G only, but Wear doesn't support cellular functionality of any kind at this point.

Even if Wear had cellular support, Samsung may have gone with Tizen anyway. But since Wear doesn't have cellular support, it's the only direction Samsung could go in for the Gear S.

Edit: As MOUNTAINBIKERMARK pointed out below, the Gear S has HSPA+ 4G, so it's not 3G only. It doesn't have LTE, but it does have support for HSPA+ 4G.

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
They are definitely going to have to address that issue with Android Wear. Basically for myself I would have to rule out any Android Wear watch and the Tizen watch since I wouldn't buy a WiFi only or a square smartwatch.

I did have a great experience with WebOS on my HP Tablet so that is a plus.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's exactly why Samsung went with Tizen on the Gear S (well, that and the fact that Samsung likes using Tizen whenever they can). The Gear S is 3G only, but Wear doesn't support cellular functionality of any kind at this point.

Even if Wear had cellular support, Samsung may have gone with Tizen anyway. But since Wear doesn't have cellular support, it's the only direction Samsung could go in for the Gear S.
AT&T Gear S is 4G. I haven't seen an LTE symbol but when I use it for phone calls or data the 4G, not 3G, icon shows up on the screen.
I thought the chip would dictate LTE and I'm not sure the chip in the S supports it .