LG Just Trolled Samsung on Twitter Over Removable Batteries

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-jan-battery-tweet.jpg

It looks like LG isn't above poking a little harmless fun at Samsung. Recently, Samsung was touting their quick-charge technology over Twitter. As you can see in the tweet above, Sammy was bragging on their ability to quick-charge your device from zero to full in 90 minutes. LG had a pretty funny response to Sammy's tweet (shown below).

lg-response-tweet.jpg

As you can see, LG basically trolled Samsung by "trumping" them with a statement aimed directly at SamsungMobile, "Go from zero to full instantly with a removable battery." Yeah... that about qualifies as a "sick burn!" Of course, now LG better stick to removable batteries in the G5... otherwise, this jab will ring hollow.

Here's our dedicated LG G5 section for further discussion: LG G5

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's pretty good, but I think the removable battery is a very small segment of buyers. A lot of these phones can easily get a day on a full charge now. And if you are going to be away from a power source for more than a day, you probably have other devices to charge and the portable deals probably make more sense.

I just wonder how many people are actually spending the extra cash for extra batteries they rarely use (and are rather a nuisance to charge).

I don't know how hard it really is to replace a battery, but that's the only real advantage I see after 18-24 months to restore full life with a new battery.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I like the option of a removable battery, but to be honest, it's a bit of a hassle.
  • You have to constantly keep the spare battery charged.
  • You have to constantly keep the spare battery with you.
  • You have to shut down the phone to replace the battery.
  • Replacing the battery a lot means taking the back plate off your phone a lot, which increases the chances of something like a click tab wearing out or breaking off.
Personally, I'll stick a portable battery pack in my car or backpack if I am going to be out all day and I think I might be using my phone a lot. But honestly, my Droid Turbo battery is fantastic. I can pretty much get two days use out of it unless I'm using it an excessive amount. And I have chargers at home, work and in my car...so fretting about my battery going dead isn't something that really happens for me...ever.

I get it if you are on vacation and will be out on excursions all day or not in your hotel all day...taking a spare battery might be something to use in a pinch when you are out and about. But it's not an every day thing for me or most people. If it was, that would get real old real quick. If my phone required a battery change every day, I'd be getting a new phone with a better internal battery. That would be a deal breaker for me.

creaky

Reaction score
I really like the option of a removable battery, and that's why I'm typing this from a G4. I can just throw it in my backpack or jacket pocket and I've got many hours of screen time before I need to switch. As someone else here mentioned, it would be great if a tech was developed that allowed one to swap batteries without powering down but short of that I really want my next phone to have a removable battery.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I got the 5200 mAh Samsung Fast Charge Pack in the Promo they offered last Nov. Fast Charges like the wall charger and its basically at same size and shape ofan s6 edge. Get 1.5 charges for my Note5. You still have to charge battery packs and they take longer than 90min and then you need an external charger to charge while other battery is in use. I find MicroSd to be more important now than removable battery for me.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Personally I prefer having the option to not only swap out a battery on the fly, but easily replace the battery after a year of heavy use. Being that you can pick up an OEM replacement for less than 20 bucks, it's nice to at least have the option even if you don't utilize it.

S5 tap'n

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Personally I prefer having the option to not only swap out a battery on the fly, but easily replace the battery after a year of heavy use. Being that you can pick up an OEM replacement for less than 20 bucks, it's nice to at least have the option even if you don't utilize it.

S5 tap'n
Totally agree. Even with these big batteries on phones these days, it's still nice to be able to carry a spare if needed.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I used to think same thing with liking to have the spare battery but now not so much especially after the latest phones ...

6s Plus

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I like the idea of replacing the battery ..especially if you wind up keeping the phone for longer than planned.. And also..battery swell...

But quick charge with a big battery has its advantages too..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I still keep mine for two years. IMO two years is still the perfect upgrade timeframe, especially if you prefer to stay within the same manufacturer series. eg: Galaxy S, HTC One, Sony Xperia, & even the Nexus series. Regardless of the which series you prefer, (& even if you like to jump between them) upgrading every 2 makes for a much more noticeable boost in overall performance.
Of course waiting that long is another story altogether. One that many of our members would rather not suffer through if they don't have to.

S5 tap'n

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I have all my phones since my Droid A855. I repurpose them as wifi devices for my kids. My 2 yr old is using my Note 2. I dont use them as main devices though.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
  • You have to constantly keep the spare battery charged.

LG has a nice little setup you can buy that will charge your battery and phone at the same time. so the battery is always docked and ready.

• You have to constantly keep the spare battery with you.

No you don't. You only need to take it with you if you think you might need it. I would never need to take it to work with me.

• You have to shut down the phone to replace the battery.

The once or twice a week you might need to actually replace it. This isn't really a CON, is it?

• Replacing the battery a lot means taking the back plate off your phone a lot, which increases the chances of something like a click tab wearing out or breaking off.

Even if this were true (LG makes a pretty reliable back door) if you DID manage to somehow break that thing: you could buy another.

moonlifekiss

Reaction score
if you plan to have your phone for keeps, I mean like for the longest time, then removable battery is a feature that couldn't be missed but now,,, nah every now and then new devices keeps popping up