LG G Watch R Officially Launches With Superior Internal Specs

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-g-watch-r-shadowed.png

It turns out the rumors yesterday of an impending LG G Watch R launch were partially true. The device will be coming to select markets in November.

Although the G Watch R may not have the same great looks as its primary competitor, the Moto 360, it still has a rounded face, which many folks seem to prefer. Not only that, but the G Watch R has something else going for it that puts it a bit ahead of the other smartwatches available right now: it has superior internal hardware specs to anything currently available.

Here's a quick breakdown:
  • 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400
  • 512 MB of RAM
  • 4 GB of storage
  • Battery is 410 mAh (which is larger than normal for these devices)
  • A heart rate sensor
  • 1.3 inch display (resolution of 320x320) - the first circular P-OLED display
  • Dust and water resistance (IP67)
  • Android Wear
The LG G Watch R will be available starting in November in France, Italy, Spain, and the UK. It will come to North America, Asia, and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) at a later (still unknown) time.

Source: LG

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
"Superior Internal Specs" ?
Good, this means that I can afford a Moto 360 when they bring the price down. Win for me.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Even though my Moto 360 has inferior specs, I have no performance issues on it or battery life. I just posted the other day I got 38 hours of battery on my Moto 360 before charging it which was impressive. During that time it was used a fair amount and wasn't just sitting there with the screen off. That said...nice specs on the LG G watch. I bet the price will reflect those higher end pieces though.

DrumsOfGrohl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone 6
Am I the only one who thinks that the name LG G Watch R is terrible? Are they going to nickname it something? Something about saying "LG G" is killing me..

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I'm willing to wager that the "superior specs" will in no way enhance the Android Wear experience. But that's no big deal. What turns me off is that gaudy non-functioning bezel.

I think the wearables market will continue to putter along until a REAL watchmaker comes along and gets involved. It doesn't even have to be Tag, Breitling, or Omega. I actually think a maker like Fossil could light things up and give us a great watch body/bezel/chassis with proper waterproofing.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The specs may be a notch above anything else, but that doesn't mean it will translate in the real world much (although that larger battery is worth noting). Although I agree that this device doesn't look as good as the Moto 360, it's still better than any of the Samsung smartwatches that have come before.

Also, that name really is awful. WTF were they thinking?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Tag and Fossil are creating one. Unfortunately, I'm sure they will launch with prices I can't justify for a cellphone accessory.

Valvoline

Reaction score
Yeah, in not sure about relying on actual watch makers is in anyone's benefit. Clearly they'll get in the game because it's the way of the future, but I'm expecting prices to go up before they go down, or quality may go down before they go up. The internals have nothing to do with actual watch making. Someone just needs a good designer for the externals. Internals are all phone tech, leave it to them to build it.

Joshw0000

Reaction score
So why is it that the evolution of smart watches took a huge step backwards and still hasn't got back to the standards of the 1st ever smart watch? My OG Gear could take pics and MAKE PHONE CALLS. Only the Gear 2 can compete with it. Admittedly I did ditch the Gear for my G Watch but I really miss making calls on my watch. It was perfect for chatting with my wife while I'm watching the kids. Is Google somehow restricting manufacturers from using mics on Android Wear devices?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's awkward but it's not as bad as trying to pronounce Suzuki GSXR. :rolleyes:

That's not too bad... My fiance trying to explain how to pronounce her Ducati Diavel, or my Aprilia Tuono is a bit of a tongue twister... haha