Legal wifi tethering contact comitment?

Zig8

Reaction score
So if I was to have a android phone (droid2) that has the wifi hotspot option. To enable it it cost $20 a month? Can I do it for just one month, or is this the regular verizon long term commitment thing? Say we were going camping for a few weeks. I dont mind paying verizon for this,... but I want to be able to stop paying for it if we dont use/need it.

viper3773

Reaction score
I believe you can add/take this off from the features online w/o a contract

r314bd

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity...are you opposed to using Wireless Tether for Root Users?

It's both free and legal, for what it's worth

viper3773

Reaction score
Not sure how it's legal since your not paying the 20 to use it.. But I plan on using this method when I get my dx

r314bd

Reaction score
Not sure how it's legal since your not paying the 20 to use it.. But I plan on using this method when I get my dx

It's legal under a new Digital Millennium Copyright Act exemption. It could still void your warranty but all you'd have to do is unroot before getting your Droid serviced.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
A few weeks ago a Verizon employee called me up asking general questions about my service. I asked her about a few questions about adding tethering once it officially became available (mind you I use the Wireless Tethering for Root Users app but was just curious). I was told that you could add tethering on a as needed basis. Meaning if you were to go camping you could add tethering to your account just for the days you neded it and then you would just be charged a pro rated amount.

tw15egan

Reaction score
a little help...

hey guys, I am trying to root my 2.2 FROYO incredible. can anyone post a link? is it even possible?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago a Verizon employee called me up asking general questions about my service. I asked her about a few questions about adding tethering once it officially became available (mind you I use the Wireless Tethering for Root Users app but was just curious). I was told that you could add tethering on a as needed basis. Meaning if you were to go camping you could add tethering to your account just for the days you neded it and then you would just be charged a pro rated amount.

Well, yes and no. You can add tethering for a particular time period, e.g. a month or a week. However, it is not "pro-rated." It is a significantly higher one time charge.

Snoking

Reaction score
Are there XP drivers for USB tethering? Where? Chris

Last edited:

Codiusprie

Reaction score

It's legal under a new Digital Millennium Copyright Act exemption. It could still void your warranty but all you'd have to do is unroot before getting your Droid serviced.

Pretty sure that isn't the case. If you were caught it would still be violate the TOS and probably get your service cut off or get you charged. Just because rooting and Jailbreaking is legal doesn't mean using a service they usually charge for for free is. That would be like saying since it is legal to Root it is also legal for me to download paid apps for free.