LED backlight for Home/Back/Menu/Search Leaking below Glass

funkyb

Reaction score
In dark environments I can see a small amount of the backlight used to light the Home/Back/Menu/Seach buttons escaping below those buttons, where the glass meats the body. If i squeese the device a little it goes away (pushes the body close to the glass).

Does anyone else experience this? Is this a hardware/production defect that I should be upset about?

It really doesn't bother me too much, but seems like it's missing a seal or something and figured I'd ask.

BACAbone

Reaction score
seen a few others talking bout this in various threads

OP
funkyb

funkyb

Reaction score
Yeah I have two dots where the light leaks through. Thankfully I don't see it if I'm looking directly at the phone perpendicularly.

Same here, I have to angle the phone to see them, and even then this is only true in dark rooms.

Would you consider this worth making a fuss over at my retailer? Part of me doesn't mind, it doesn't affect my usage of the phone, but another part of me says "hey you paid for this, get one that is they way it should be".

Any thoughts?

Oh and I included this in my email to HTC, will post the feeback I receive.

Sprank1

Reaction score
Same thing here - two small spots below the screen where light leaks through. Only notice it in a dark room and not if I am looking directly at the screen.

I figure it is a design issue and that most of them will have some degree of this.

As far as I am concerned, it is not a big enough problem to take it back.

OP
funkyb

funkyb

Reaction score
Yea I feel the same. It has zero impact.

- Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts of Android

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Yeah I have two dots where the light leaks through. Thankfully I don't see it if I'm looking directly at the phone perpendicularly.

Same here, I have to angle the phone to see them, and even then this is only true in dark rooms.

Would you consider this worth making a fuss over at my retailer? Part of me doesn't mind, it doesn't affect my usage of the phone, but another part of me says "hey you paid for this, get one that is they way it should be".

Any thoughts?

Oh and I included this in my email to HTC, will post the feeback I receive.

It's not enough for me to take it back. From the replies to this thread, my guess is most of them will have this. But most people won't notice this unless they're in a 100% dark room and looking at the bottom of the phone <cough>. lol.

Natejka7273

Reaction score
I have this issue too. So did the demo handset I saw at Verizon. I wouldn't be surprised if they all have this defect, but it's not something I really care about.

Shelooga

Reaction score
Mine does it. I'm typing from my old droid via wifi tethered from my tb... the motorola has the same lights under its soft keys. Man, these keys are tiny. I went from this t x to tb

rudydroid

Reaction score
on my dx I get a little leakage above the buttons, but not enough to bother me, and the liberty toolbox's default setting turns off those light when the screen is on.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

PikaCane

Reaction score
Mine is noticeable even in lit environments, but again, doesn't particularly bother me. If this is the worst issue my phone develops, the gods will truly have been smiling in me! Lol

I've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!