Latest Chrome for Android Update Can Reduce Data Consumption by Up to 70%

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
data-saver-mode-chrome-android.png

The latest update to Chrome for Android improves Chrome’s Data Saver mode. It can now reduce data consumption by up to 70% under some conditions. The way it handles this is that the Data Saver mode utilizes up to 50 percent data compression on pages by passing them through Google’s servers. The newest update is even more efficient at culling the largest data hogging parts of web pages.

It does this by removing most of the images on a page after Chrome detects that your connection might be too slow. After the page is loaded, you can still tap on backgrounds to pop up the images you want to see, or you can click on a single pop-up that will load all the images.

This update with the Data Saver Mode improvements hasn't rolled out yet. It will push out to India and Indonesia first, and in the coming months will rollout to all other regions. In the mean-time, you can still benefit from the feature. To enable it, just go to Settings->Advanced->Data Saver.

To see what it looks like before enabling it, check out the animated gif in the thread below.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now that VZW is gouging me for an additional $20 per unlimited line, there is no way I am using this feature. I use as much data as I possibly can now.