Jumped the X ship today

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
After almost 2 years of Droid X ownership, I have decided to move on. The X is çertainly a great phone and served me well...had it since the second day it was available. But since I was finally eligible for an upgrade and the fact VZW is going to start charging the upgrade fee, I made the switch to a Nexus.

Carry on DXers!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
congrats, how're you liking the Nexus so far?

if you haven't already, check out our sister site galaxynexusforum.com...

OP
IIGood

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I'm diggin' it so far. The 4G speeds are pretty darn good in this area...ran a speed test from the SpeedTest.net app and I pulled 11 Mbps down. The upload was under 1 Mbps though. But otherwise everything's pretty nice. Been debating it for a while now; it came down to the Nexus and the RAZR. I kept going back to the fact that the Nexus had vanilla ICS and really wanted to try that out.

I'll go check the other forum too...thanks!

kobe008

Reaction score
What is this upgrade fee? I'm not due for an upgrade until November.

jeff5347

Reaction score
Sorry for hijacking.. But,
you have to pay to upgrade now? I remember way....back that if u went 2 yrs or longer you got a 100 dollar credit to a new phone. So a $200 phone would be 100 and then later on they changed it to a 50 dollar credit for owning 2 yrs or more. So now we have no credit if over 2 years but have to pay. Man Verizon has taken a tumble in the worst way..

OP
IIGood

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Sorry for hijacking.. But,
you have to pay to upgrade now? I remember way....back that if u went 2 yrs or longer you got a 100 dollar credit to a new phone. So a $200 phone would be 100 and then later on they changed it to a 50 dollar credit for owning 2 yrs or more. So now we have no credit if over 2 years but have to pay. Man Verizon has taken a tumble in the worst way..

Yep...complete garbage. VZW kinda announced it with minimal warning...the press release was dated April 11th, and they said that starting on April 22nd, they'd start charging the upgrade fee.

I know what you mean. I had their "New Every 2" deal since like, 2006...I went from the LG flip phone I had to the Dare in 2008 and got a $50 discount on that. Then I went from the Dare to the X in 2010 and got $50 discounted from that. But just after I got the X, they killed the New Every 2 program...I still got a slight $30 discount when I upgraded to the Nexus so I cashed it in while it would actually be worth something for me.

hecksagon

Reaction score
Nice to hear that your Droid has treated you well for a long time. If its still functioning well, I have a write up in general on how to turn it into a mini tab by keeping its cell radio disabled and wifi enabled. Doing this trick doesn't kill your ability to re-enable the radio, so you will always have a capable backup phone.