Juice Defneder on the Bionic

mandragora

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is using Juice Defender on the Bionic. I used to use it on the OG Driod but at some point I stopped because it took too long for the radios to turn on when I turned on the screen.

I just tested it on the bionic and it took about 4 seconds for the 4G indicator to come on so I will be interested if it works and still saves the battery.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is true. Juice Defender, Auto Task Killer and others like this do more harm than good. If you have to, use the pre-installed task killer and just let gingerbread do its job.

OP
mandragora

mandragora

Reaction score
This is true. Juice Defender, Auto Task Killer and others like this do more harm than good. If you have to, use the pre-installed task killer and just let gingerbread do its job.

Juice defender is not killing any tasks. It just turns the radio off and re-enables it every 5 minutes so it is not constantly polling. It definitely made a difference on the OG droid (used to get be up to 2-4 extra hrs per day). But it does not kill any tasks.

Stories

Reaction score
Juice Defender has been fabulous on my Bionic. My battery life is now not a problem at all.

OP
mandragora

mandragora

Reaction score
I have been dropping about 10% per hour so I will see what kind of change this makes. I have it set for 5 min, coming on for 30 sec. (not 15 because I can't wait 15 min for an e-mail) but hopefully it will make some difference.

Zregnier

Reaction score
I like watchdog because it just monitors your apps and will notify you if one is hogging resources.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
mandragora

mandragora

Reaction score
I like watchdog because it just monitors your apps and will notify you if one is hogging resources.

Would this identify the cause of the phone running hot even when it has been off for a long time. Sometimes I take it out of the case and the battery is hot which indicates to me that something has been running out of control. (This used to happen with my OG Droid all the time. I finally rooted it so I could use set cpu and setup a temperature profile.)

Zregnier

Reaction score
Would this identify the cause of the phone running hot even when it has been off for a long time. Sometimes I take it out of the case and the battery is hot which indicates to me that something has been running out of control. (This used to happen with my OG Droid all the time. I finally rooted it so I could use set cpu and setup a temperature profile.)

Possibly. You can set it to alert you when an app is using a specified % of you memory. Also, I think there are apps out there that monitor how much data apps send, do you could check that out too.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I might try JD, but it really didn't help my OG Droid. While it said it did, the battery lasted just as long when JD wasn't used.

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is using Juice Defender on the Bionic. I used to use it on the OG Driod but at some point I stopped because it took too long for the radios to turn on when I turned on the screen.

I just tested it on the bionic and it took about 4 seconds for the 4G indicator to come on so I will be interested if it works and still saves the battery.

I dont use JD on the Bionic because the phone can already do basically what JD does which is turn off data to save battery.

Go to settings and tweak your battery profile to turn off data after say 15 minutes. JD does have the feature where it re-enables data at certain intervals to allow push notifications to come through. The Moto battery profile dont have that feature..

OP
mandragora

mandragora

Reaction score
I ran a test over 2 days, once with Juice Defender, once without.

I was only using the phone for e-mails, texts and such. No video. maybe 1hr of music each day (not streaming.) The radio turn on frequency was set to once every 5 min for 30 sec.

I used Circle widget to track the battery power.

Here are the results:

With Juice Defender, the battery depleted at 10% per hr.
Without Juice Defender, the battery depleted at 12% per hr.

This means that I could get about 1.5 extra hours with juice defender.

Although this could be helpful, the trade off is that every time you turn on the display you have to wait between 4 - 10 seconds for the radio to come back on (This does get annoying.) Also, a heavier user of the phone will not see as much of a difference because JD is only effective when the phone is idle.