Is Turbo really TURBO ?

jplemt

Reaction score
My average idle temps are mid 80's, average usage temps are mid 90's. Maybe as humans we notice the difference more than the actual level.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

R

RETG

There is one aspect of Turbo Charging which I touched on in the past, and which may not be given consideration in the grand scheme of things. The faster you charge a battery, the less complete the charge, unless you include a significant after-charge at a "saturation" rate, which would be considerably slower than even a regular charge. The Turbo Charger is a three-stage charging system, so one would hope that the final saturation charge is sufficient to bring the full charge to as close to a typical wall wart charging as possible.

What I would like to see is a real world comparison of a 100% Turbo Charged battery then being used at a steady rate till it reaches let's say 15%, and then compare that to a 100% slow-charged battery and give it the same use to 15%, and let's see which battery actually gives off a longer runtime. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the trickle charged battery giving a significantly longer runtime, potentially as much as 15% or more, simply due to being able to hold more mAh of its rated capacity.

Perhaps I'll do that test.

I would be curious to the results. I'm guessing not much difference. I base that on Motorola's claim that it charges at turbo speed till 78% capacity, then drops to normal. And I base it on my camping trips.
At home I use the turbo charger, setup on my night stand. When in the trailer camping, I charge with a normal charge cord, running off an inverter (supplies a full 5 volts if needed), usually powered off the trailer's batteries (sometimes connected to power at a campsite) and the battery life appears to be the same. (No scientific checks, just from observation.)

jplemt

Reaction score
I've plugged the Turbo charger in above 80% before and it just seems to creep along very slowly.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I would be curious to the results. I'm guessing not much difference. I base that on Motorola's claim that it charges at turbo speed till 78% capacity, then drops to normal. And I base it on my camping trips.
At home I use the turbo charger, setup on my night stand. When in the trailer camping, I charge with a normal charge cord, running off an inverter (supplies a full 5 volts if needed), usually powered off the trailer's batteries (sometimes connected to power at a campsite) and the battery life appears to be the same. (No scientific checks, just from observation.)
A trailer is NOT camping.

Tap'n Turbo

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
All chargers switch to a slower rate toward the end. This is just how Li-Ion batteries have to be charged. The turbo charger just "pushes" more power into the charging circuit of the phone during the fast charge phase. During fast charge the charger is in what is called "Constant Current" mode. How high this current is set is the difference between a regular and "Turbo" charger.

Once the battery gets charged to a level close to max, the charger switches to "Constant Voltage", usually 4.2 or 4.3V. In this state the battery will continue to draw a current that gets lower and lower as it gets close to 100%. This is basically the " top off" part of the charging process. Once the current falls under a certain threshold, the charging ends.

The Turbo charger is able to provide more current during the fast charge because it can also increase the voltage, unlike regular chargers that are limited to 5V.

However, once it goes to CV mode toward the end of charge, it behaves just like a regular charger.

MarBearCat

Reaction score
The only thing that scares me about Turbo charging is the consistent 110°F temps while charging.

How about turbo-charging the phone while it's in the refrigerator?
Just sit there in the kitchen pressing on the door so the door doesn't open. Maybe I'll try that experiment? :D

>"<

R

RETG

A trailer is NOT camping.

Tap'n Turbo
If talking about one of those large trailers or a fifth wheel that has everything from a bathroom to a surround sound system and recliners, and parking it in a large lot, like a KOA, that they call a campground...I agree.
But after 40 years of tent camping in the western states; I jumped to a tent trailer with a 5" lift and larger tires. Towed by a Hummer or a PU truck, I can go where I have no neighbors and even if I had a TV, not sure I would get reception.
Only convenience I have is a 20 gallon fresh water tank furnace when needed, and a bed that is off the ground.:D

Need to come out west and camp with the coyotes and bears.:D
trailercloseup_ps_zps13b1197d.jpg~original

Last edited by a moderator:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You might have 20 years on me...I've only been canoe camping for 18 years, but I assure you, my friend: I get out of Ohio. :D

gGewEMQd6qvVvF4U0yKaZep_77WyotY6hXZrbvB75xA

EZu3VZKPC3rSIUkm4hQddqf7oU_NYBC-Yt3O-AueWl8

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Hey we have great places to camp in Ohio. And my butt is always on the ground. Non of this Glamping from an RV or Camper.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea but we DON'T have anyplace you can canoe for 6 straight days. ;)

ajVHOtRChYmj6qk5AYi6ZrcHSi7foO809zj9W_DZG4w

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yes we do. Hocking Hills. I've gone canoeing for 3 days.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree, I'm a tent camper myself, but as I've gotten older I've purchased more creature comforts... a much larger tent and queen sized inflatable mattress to put my sleeping bag on etc. My parents (mid & late 70s) have had 5th wheels the past 20 years with slide outs, flat screen, fireplace, kitchen, full bathroom, etc and I have to say, it is enjoyable. They just upgraded to a coach camper but they also travel around the country 8 months out of the year.
Many of the guys I work with are big game hunters and almost all of them have 5th wheels as well, simply because they go out for 2-3 weeks at a time. I still enjoy my tent, but there will probably come a day where I'll end up getting one myself, if only for the convenience factor. That said, I'm not a fan of campgrounds where you've got other campers right next to you who either have loud kids running around all hours of the night, or drunk teenagers raising hell. I like being off the beaten path away from everyone and there are plenty of places where I camp, (Idaho/Montana/Wyoming/Utah) that provide that solitude. Tent FTW, for now....

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yes we do. Hocking Hills. I've gone canoeing for 3 days.

I like being off the beaten path away from everyone and there are plenty of places where I camp, (Idaho/Montana/Wyoming/Utah) that provide that solitude. Tent FTW, for now....

Exactly cr6. What me and my friends have been doing for 18 years is NOT available anywhere in OH. We canoe for 5-7 days carrying everything we need in our packs and changing campsites every single night. There are no cars anywhere near and no one in sight when we camp at night. Maybe a campfire across a large lake at best.
Wilderness camping ftw.

wWcjsqhrKthFkf1rUrY5NBOj-FmIkT5IGjguWtARp-4

Wow, are we OT!

One of my favorites:
Algonquin Provincial Park | Ontario, Canada | The Friends of Algonquin Park

The prettiest place I've ever seen on planet Earth (also one of our toughest trips)
Welcome to Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park

Last edited:
Reactions: cr6