IR Blaster For Any Smart Phone?!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

This seems to good to be true. A new "Pre-Kickstarter" page has surfaced promising to add an IR Blaster to any smart phone. This is perfect timing as the Galaxy S7 removes the feature that was loved on the Galaxy S6. The BOBO Eye is a stick on bluetooth controlled IR Blaster that works with both iOS and Android.

With the BOBO Eye you can use your phone to control your TV, DVD player, Blu-Ray player and pretty much anything with an IR receiver. The way this works is you attach it to the back of your device, connect it through the app, and add your device via bluetooth. This seems pretty simple and the little device doesn't look half bad. The only issue I can see is you aren't able to use a case, unless of course you stick the eye to the case? There are lots of details left out here, and this seems to still be in beta stages. Who knows it may turn out to be vapor ware. This is a cool idea none the less. Head to the link below for more info.

via EyeKickStarter

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Nice concept, but I'll pass for $30. bucks..

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I love having the feature on my S5, but honestly I won't miss it on the S7. The main feature I loved about the IR blaster that comes on the Galaxy devices, was its ability to work on literally any device within seconds. Fact is, I simply don't use mine enough for it to be a concern. $30 bucks is a bit steep, especially for a small dongle that could easily be lost, and prevents you from using the case you're currently using. IDK, I think they need to cut the price in half if they intend to go anywhere with this, in terms of sales numbers.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The only times I ever really used the blaster on my S4 or Note 4 were to mess with someone or on the rare occasion that the remote wasn't within arms reach. Like others, I can't see paying $30 for this thing. If I did, I think I'd find a good place to stick it in the living room. Then, it'd be usable at home, but I wouldn't have that weird thing stuck to the back of my phone.

Reactions: cr6

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm okay not having an IR Blaster. We only used to use it at the bar to mess with people.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've used mine to see if it works when I get a new device but it quickly wears off. By the time I get to the zap portion on my phone or tablet I've used more time than finding the remote usually. Now if it had a "find remote" option I'd use it daily, especially if my 8 year old is around. She's forever losing the remote.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
If I know my nerds, no one wants an external thing to do this. ;)

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Wait the S7 doesn't have IR? That's annoying... That's always a major selling point for me. I use it on my G4 and used it on my S4 all the time. Completely replaced my remote, it's so convenient to control multiple TVs from one remote.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ever since the OG Droid, I've wanted an IR blaster on my phone. Google continues to ignore me. :(