Internal memory vs phone (USB?

shellmeyer

Reaction score
So, went manage apps>internal storage. Apps don't appear to b stored on Memory Card or internal memory. It shows they are stored on USB storage. Not sure what that is. As LLC I'm trying to read is where my apparently are stored, to keep track of my memory. Also, how can I tell if my pics are on my sd card?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
So, went manage apps>internal storage. Apps don't appear to b stored on Memory Card or internal memory. It shows they are stored on USB storage. Not sure what that is. As LLC I'm trying to read is where my apparently are stored, to keep track of my memory. Also, how can I tell if my pics are on my sd card?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
There are two memory "sources" on your phone. The commonly referred to "internal memory" is 16 GB. That 16GB of memory is partitioned into two 8GB sections. 8GB of that memory is reserved for the phone, the other 8GB of memory is referred to as "sdcard" when viewed by My Files or a different file manager app. This 8GB is where you pics are stored unless you specifiy differently...the default storage location if you will. The other 16GB of memory, known as "external sdcard" is the removable sdcard that you can see on the side of your phone. The 16GB of memory on this card is totally accessible to you for storage of pics, videos, documents etc. You can move some apps from sdcard to external sdcard but keep in mind that some apps cannot be moved from internal storage and some apps that can be moved will not run as fast of smoothly if moved to the external sdcard. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

cantankerous

Reaction score
There are two memory "sources" on your phone. The commonly referred to "internal memory" is 16 GB. That 16GB of memory is partitioned into two 8GB sections. 8GB of that memory is reserved for the phone, the other 8GB of memory is referred to as "sdcard" when viewed by My Files or a different file manager app. This 8GB is where you pics are stored unless you specifiy differently...the default storage location if you will. The other 16GB of memory, known as "external sdcard" is the removable sdcard that you can see on the side of your phone. The 16GB of memory on this card is totally accessible to you for storage of pics, videos, documents etc. You can move some apps from sdcard to external sdcard but keep in mind that some apps cannot be moved from internal storage and some apps that can be moved will not run as fast of smoothly if moved to the external sdcard. Hope this helps.

Is all of this "internal memory" accessible from my PC through a USB cable? Would the contact list, call log, text messages, and pictures from a Droid Incredible be accessible this way?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Is all of this "internal memory" accessible from my PC through a USB cable? Would the contact list, call log, text messages, and pictures from a Droid Incredible be accessible this way?
Unless you are rooted you do not have access to, or can view, the 8GB of internal memory that is reserved for your phone. Pics and other data can be stored in the remaining 8GB (usually the default storage location) unless you specify or move them to the external sd card. This 8GB and the external sdcard are accessable and can be viewed on your PC when connected via USB.

cantankerous

Reaction score
Unless you are rooted you do not have access to, or can view, the 8GB of internal memory that is reserved for your phone. Pics and other data can be stored in the remaining 8GB (usually the default storage location) unless you specify or move them to the external sd card. This 8GB and the external sdcard are accessable and can be viewed on your PC when connected via USB.

As my status show, I'm new to this forum, and to the Droid Incredible. I'm assuming that your response means that if I was "rooted" I would have access to the internal memory, and to the contact list, call log, text messages, pictures, etc. What is "rooted", and how do I get it? (I should perhaps mention that this was my son's phone, that it is no longer in service, and that it is very important to me to be able to retrieve this information.)

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
As my status show, I'm new to this forum, and to the Droid Incredible. I'm assuming that your response means that if I was "rooted" I would have access to the internal memory, and to the contact list, call log, text messages, pictures, etc. What is "rooted", and how do I get it? (I should perhaps mention that this was my son's phone, that it is no longer in service, and that it is very important to me to be able to retrieve this information.)
The Incredible is an HTC phone. This sub forum's focus is on Droid Rarz/Razr Maxx/HD etc. There is a sub forum for the Incredible here:Droid Incredible 2 Hacks. You will diffidently get more qualified assistance for your Incredible there. To your questions: Rooting your phone allows the user access to system settings, data and files that you would not normally have. Just rooting a phone does nothing in and of itself. It is what you do after rooting that can make a difference in performance, battery life, appearance (background/wallpaper etc), ability to flash custom ROMs etc. In your case you would have the ability to access the file system that contains the data you are looking for. In the case of the Incredible I'm not sure how you get to the call logs or text messages, but you can certainly retrieve the pics and contacts. Your carriers should be able to retrieve the call logs and possibly the text messages unless they have been deleted from the "system". I am not familiar with the Incredible's memory or file structure so whatever I've addressed for the Razr family might not be true for the HTC family of phones. Go to the link I provided and I'm sure you can get the answers to the questions you have. Good luck.