Installing new kernel

Reaction score
I assume if I install a kernel when one is already running, the first one gets uninstalled, am I correct?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

ziggy484

Reaction score
Dont install nonvoodoo over voodoo without disabling lagfix

sent from a Superclean, Voodoo Fascinate

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
I have two questions about kernels...

I am about to root my Fascinate, I have SC 2.9.2 ready, CWM (updated 3/31) ready, the root steps ready, and a voodoo kernel and a non-voodoo kernel ready

1) Do you do lagfix first, then kernel?

2)Which kind of kernel, why that kind, and whats the difference.

And please don't yell for asking these questions, I tried searching, but nothing came up answering these questions...

And I will admit, I'm a noob at this lol this is a lot different than the OG Droid...

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
I have two questions about kernels...

I am about to root my Fascinate, I have SC 2.9.2 ready, CWM (updated 3/31) ready, the root steps ready, and a voodoo kernel and a non-voodoo kernel ready

1) Do you do lagfix first, then kernel?

2)Which kind of kernel, why that kind, and whats the difference.

And please don't yell for asking these questions, I tried searching, but nothing came up answering these questions...

And I will admit, I'm a noob at this lol this is a lot different than the OG Droid...

Follow this exactly http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sa...roms-w-root-new-clockwork-updated-2-11-a.html

Unless you're doing a voodoo kernel do not mess with the lagfix.

Superclean 2.9.2 comes with a kernel. It's the stock EC10 kernel.

Don't mess with ROM Manager either.

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score

hecantbreathe

Reaction score
Follow this exactly http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sa...roms-w-root-new-clockwork-updated-2-11-a.html

Unless you're doing a voodoo kernel do not mess with the lagfix.

Superclean 2.9.2 comes with a kernel. It's the stock EC10 kernel.

Don't mess with ROM Manager either.

Alright thank you! Now what is the advantage/difference of having a voodoo kernel to a non-voodoo kernel?

Depending on the kernel there's color/sound enhancements.
Voodoo changes the RFS files to linux EXT4 which is faster. So your phone should feel a little faster.
Sent from my EC01 voodoo'd Fascinate

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
Voodoo changes the RFS files to linux EXT4 which is faster. So your phone should feel a little faster.

Alright, final question. Thanks for all the help so far :)

Is it dangerous to go from a non-voodoo to voodoo kernel, or is it only bad to go from a voodoo to non-voodoo?

And is it as easy as just flashing a voodoo kernel over it to enable lag-fix, (if the first part of my above question is NO) or is it a process?

hecantbreathe

Reaction score

Is it dangerous to go from a non-voodoo to voodoo kernel, or is it only bad to go from a voodoo to non-voodoo?

And is it as easy as just flashing a voodoo kernel over it to enable lag-fix, (if the first part of my above question is NO) or is it a process?

Non Voodoo to Voodoo is fine. Voodoo to Non Voodoo only if you disable the lagfix first which is in Clockwork mod recovery under voodoo then disable lagfix.

Flashing a voodoo kernel is easy. It's the same way you flash a non voodoo kernel except after you flash a voodoo kernel in cwm you go to voodoo and enable lagfix. Now the first time you flash a voodoo kernel the first boot up will take anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes while it converts the files. You will also hear a robot girl talking during the process. So don't panic when your phone sits on the samsung screen for 10 minutes.

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score

Non Voodoo to Voodoo is fine. Voodoo to Non Voodoo only if you disable the lagfix first which is in Clockwork mod recovery under voodoo then disable lagfix.

Flashing a voodoo kernel is easy. It's the same way you flash a non voodoo kernel except after you flash a voodoo kernel in cwm you go to voodoo and enable lagfix. Now the first time you flash a voodoo kernel the first boot up will take anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes while it converts the files. You will also hear a robot girl talking during the process. So don't panic when your phone sits on the samsung screen for 10 minutes.

Alright cool deal, thank you very much. If you want a donation send me your paypal email, you deserve it for putting up with me lol