ICS Update - No SMS/4G

dpaulat

Reaction score
My wife's phone (stock) received the ICS OTA update tonight, and now she has trouble loading text messages. Once in a blue moon, the first SMS recipient thread will load, but the vast majority of times, the screen will just display "Loading..." and not load anything. In addition, the phone is stuck in 3G (my HTC Thunderbolt has 4G right next to it). I tried investigating the settings with *#*#4636#*#*, as I had to do when her phone was in an infinite reboot cycle when we first got it, but this seems to have been disabled.

Any suggestions?

OP
D

dpaulat

Reaction score
4G seems to be fixed now. I managed to get myself into Mobile Network settings, and the preferred network mode was CDMA only, instead of LTE/CDMA. I am still having the problem loading text messages though.

AmezVT

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem with my SMS. I haven't been able to text in two days, noting is loading. Is there a solution to this issue? it's extremely frustrating. I wish i never updated to ICS.

OP
D

dpaulat

Reaction score
Searching on the Internet, the only solution I was able to find was to do a factory reset on the phone. I have not yet done this, as I want to avoid it if at all possible.

I was however able to find a workaround. If you delete all your SMS messages, you should be able to load new ones. So far so good, but we haven't been able to test this out for a long period of time, so I don't know if this is a permanent solution or not.

Still looking for more suggestions...

skittles09

Reaction score
Hi! This isn't really an ICS update problem. I had the same problem a couple days ago before I upgraded to ICS - I could not load or delete any of my message threads.

You have to factory reset the phone. That was the only way the problem was resolved. Make sure to back up your data to your Google account and export your data to your SD card. Or take it to the Verizon store and they will do it for you.

AmezVT

Reaction score
If you download an sms messanger app you can see all your old texts. I downloaded gosms and I haven't had any problems seeing my old texts. I wish I knew that before I started deleting texts but oh well.