ICS update OK at first, now the fone sucks

b684co

Reaction score
Why should I have a smartphone (at all, as the VAST MAJORITY of mature people ask), if it cannot make its apps work at all?

At first with this absurd ICS update, one could 'disable' various apps. Now that is gone, just left with 'force stop' as in old operating system on Rezounds.

Now Google Earth has stopped working, cannot get it enabled again. I have rebooted, battery pull, SIM pull, everything except Factory Reset, which I refuse to do. ( Choice: leave phone working as phone, but crippled with ICS; OR, go thru the absurd nonsense of Factory Reset. Some neat product, HTC/Verizon/Google. Software dweeb industry strikes again.)

I cannot get to a menu before Earth stops. It seems to think it is 'offline'. Wifi is on and strong right next to phone. But cannot bring up any 'settings' menu to setup its wifi. 4G just arrived here - but it is slower than 3G if that can be believed, with Earth. I have, several times, uninstalled Earth and reinstalled. No change.

Next time Google, I will just get a telephone - spare me all the stupid hype.

BTW, I was never one of those who WANTED ICS in the first place. But Verizon store tells me that if I do not do updates, phone will crash.

Really really a neat product - for a baseball bat target - or in most cases a toy for the chronically immature.

jrc

Last edited:

svdroiddude

Reaction score
Is Earth the only app you are having trouble with? This app was updated recently and I noticed it was a bit slow. So you cannot open the app at all on wifi...how about 4/3G? One thing about Earth is that there are a lot of "layers" and if many are checked it can really be an issue. If you can somehow open it up check to see what map options are checked.

If you are having issues with other apps to then your only (best) choice is a Factory Reset. Yeah, PITA...but ICS is a HUGE update over Gingerbread. I had to do it and it has turned my phone into an awesome machine (mostly).

Snoking

Reaction score
b684co said:
Why should I have a smartphone (at all, as the VAST MAJORITY of mature people ask), if it cannot make its apps work at all?

At first with this absurd ICS update, one could 'disable' various apps. Now that is gone, just left with 'force stop' as in old operating system on Rezounds.

Now Google Earth has stopped working, cannot get it enabled again. I have rebooted, battery pull, SIM pull, everything except Factory Reset, which I refuse to do. ( Choice: leave phone working as phone, but crippled with ICS; OR, go thru the absurd nonsense of Factory Reset. Some neat product, HTC/Verizon/Google. Software dweeb industry strikes again.)

I cannot get to a menu before Earth stops. It seems to think it is 'offline'. Wifi is on and strong right next to phone. But cannot bring up any 'settings' menu to setup its wifi. 4G just arrived here - but it is slower than 3G if that can be believed, with Earth. I have, several times, uninstalled Earth and reinstalled. No change.

BTW, I was never one of those who WANTED ICS in the first place. But Verizon store tells me that if I do not do updates, phone will crash.

Really really a neat product - for a baseball bat target - or in most cases a toy for the chronically immature.

jrc

For the time you spent typing this, you could be part way thru a factory reset.

Last edited:

tannins

Reaction score
I hated the idea of a factory reset, but I'm glad I took the time to do it. The rezound rocks.

Willt365

Reaction score
Do the factory reset so u can enjoy the phone u paid for...!!

Reaction score
I had very bad luck with my rezound after ICS also. Especially poor battery!

I did the factory reset and it did not help at all. After speaking with a tech Rep and trying several things with the phone, they sent me a razr maxx.

The screen isn't as beautiful, but it is a solid phone where ICS has actually been a benefit and my battery life is incredible.....18+ hours with heavy use.

Good luck. I hope your problems get resolved.

WallyIAm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge

jrc

Tech problems can be annoying, but insulting other users will not garner you sympathy. Others, such as myself, have had no problems whatsoever with the ICS upgrade. I also use it as it was intended; not for fart apps and the like.

Last edited:

Brightonbrad

Reaction score

jrc

Has the voting for mega douche of the year ended? I have a nominee

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

acejavelin

Reaction score
(In a better place today, going to try to redeem myself a little bit after yesterday's post)

I think this whole thread needs to be deleted... It started out rough, and it has just kept staggering downhill ever since. The OP is obviously upset and is not looking for help, just to blame, point fingers, and complain so this thread is pointless. Hopefully, this was actually a frustrated users way of asking for assistance?

BUT, if the OP wants, I would more than willing to assist him/her in trying to correct the issues and get the phone back into a usable, possibly enjoyable, state, but that does not seem to be the intent of this thread, and unfortunately, yes, it would require some work and inconvenience to get things taken care of from the apparent current condition of the device.

Last edited:

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I have no idea why some folks will suffer through a phone for weeks that isn't functioning properly, gives them headaches, makes them so angry, etc, when a factory reset will usually fix all of those problems and make life so much better....ESPECIALLY AFTER THE ICS UPDATE. So many folks have said a factory reset worked wonders for them after the ICS update.
  1. Factory resets fix certain issues...period.
  2. A factory reset is quick...a factory reset is easy.
Just do this:
  • Go into any app that stores info on your phone and export a backup from that app (those apps usually allow for that).
  • Copy the contents of your phone to your computer to back it all up.
  • Perform a factory reset.
  • Copy the contents of the backup you made, back on to your phone (or pick and choose what you want to put back on...you may not want all of the audio, images, etc. back on there).
  • Re-install your apps. I am guessing most folks think this is the worst part. But it doesn't have to be. Re-installing 100 apps back on your phone can indeed take some time if you do it on your phone, but it is much quicker to do it on a computer within Google Play under "My Android Apps" you'll see all of the apps you had previously installed (even ones you installed and uninstalled a while back). You can easily re-install them from here. Super easy and much, much faster than doing it on your phone. It's the way to do it...seriously.
That's it.

Why do some folks think this is too long or time consuming???
If I did it right now, it seriously might only take me an hour or so from start to finish...plus I'll probably end up not re-installing some apps I don't feel I need anymore. It's basic housecleaning really. Heck, I might just do a factory reset right now just for fun.

I have friends who even do factory resets on their precious little iPhones from time to time as well, and they say it helps performance and fix issues on iOS as well. It's just what you do with any computer from time to time...and a smart phone is a computer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did a factory reset on my rezound and it did not help at all. Not one problem went away.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I did a factory reset on my rezound and it did not help at all. Not one problem went away.
This is EXTREMELY unusual... 9 out of 10 times a factory reset will correct most, if not all, issues with people have with ICS related to the update.

The ICS firmware for the Rezound is solid, stable, and very user friendly... if you are still having issues perhaps something with the update did not take correctly, although unusual this can happen. I would typically recommend manually flashing the RUU for the official firmware, it is available on Android Police's website here: [Exclusive Download] HTC Rezound Ice Cream Sandwich RUU For Final OTA (3.14.605.12)

Reaction score
acejavelin said:
This is EXTREMELY unusual... 9 out of 10 times a factory reset will correct most, if not all, issues with people have with ICS related to the update.

The ICS firmware for the Rezound is solid, stable, and very user friendly... if you are still having issues perhaps something with the update did not take correctly, although unusual this can happen. I would typically recommend manually flashing the RUU for the official firmware, it is available on Android Police's website here: [Exclusive Download] HTC Rezound Ice Cream Sandwich RUU For Final OTA (3.14.605.12)

I agree that a reset should fix most, if not all, problems. It just didn't fix a thing for me. Maybe the rezound will get an update to fix ics problems. Sounds like a lot of phones need this.

I have switched to the razr maxx and am very happy.

HowardZ

Reaction score
When I installed RUU it automatically did a factory reset and also wiped the internal SD. It left the removable MicroSD card untouched.

I have read some advice to boot into bootloader and do a factory reset and wiping the internal SD storage.

Last edited: