ICS is coming?

HowardZ

Reaction score
The last OTA update on my Droid-X unrooted phones and had all the exploits fixed so it couldn't be rooted.
The bootloader was also replaced with one that would refuse to load any older Verizon SBF files.
The solution was to load SBF for the same phone from Alltell (a European cell phone company) using
a Linux PC (linux flash doesn't touch the radio), making the Droid-X a Milestone-X (as they call it in Europe).
Those who used Voodoo OTA rootkeeper kept their root, but everyone else had to become a rooted Milestone-X.
Then someone who still had root (had used Voodoo) shared a nandroid backup of his /system partition,
and everyone could go back to being a Verizon rooted os.

Anyway, the moral of the story is: It is possible that this OTA coming might make the phone unrootable?

Howard

1tfrot

Reaction score
No you're exactly right. Even if the update isn't intended to wipe anything, a change of this magnitude could mess things up, causing a factory reset to be necessary. Hopefully they've learned from the past and this isn't the case, but hoping is sometimes way too similar to assuming. ;)

If you're stock, there's only so much you can backup. You can use a program like My Backup Pro to backup your call logs, text/sms history, internet favorites, etc. You can also use that to backup apps, but you can't backup the data within the apps unfortunately.

cool, thanks. sounds like I don't have to do anything then. can always go back and add internet favorites (bookmarks) manually if necessary. I'm a simple person when it comes to my phone. :biggrin:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
The last OTA update on my Droid-X unrooted phones and had all the exploits fixed so it couldn't be rooted.
The bootloader was also replaced with one that would refuse to load any older Verizon SBF files.
The solution was to load SBF for the same phone from Alltell (a European cell phone company) using
a Linux PC (linux flash doesn't touch the radio), making the Droid-X a Milestone-X (as they call it in Europe).
Those who used Voodoo OTA rootkeeper kept their root, but everyone else had to become a rooted Milestone-X.
Then someone who still had root (had used Voodoo) shared a nandroid backup of his /system partition,
and everyone could go back to being a Verizon rooted os.

Anyway, the moral of the story is: It is possible that this OTA coming might make the phone unrootable?

Howard

Yes/no. Look at what the last one did. I have the feeling that there will be some added security in this next OTA but nothing as crippling as the last. Besides as soon as we get the RUU, a working rooted ROM can be created. On top of that since we have sanctioned unlock, the AmonRa root method should always work.

Coupe

Reaction score
I just hope it gives me some privacey settings so I can tell my compas app that it cannot read my phone call data or access the internet whenever it wants.....OK, I am being a tiny bit vacicious but you get my point.