ICS is coming?

papat912

Reaction score
If and when ICS for the HTC Rezound is coming, like next week may be, what if anything should I do to protect my set-up and files on my phone now.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

hoboX10

Reaction score
I was wondering this myself (or I think it's what you're asking) as this is my first Android phone.

Will a major update like this wipe my phone even though it's an OTA update? Will I need to back up things saved to the phone? To the SD card? Both? Anything else?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Installing an OTA shouldn't wipe any apps or files from the phone. It does change the OS so there will be some big differences, but your pics, music, etc should still be there.

hoboX10

Reaction score
Installing an OTA shouldn't wipe any apps or files from the phone. It does change the OS so there will be some big differences, but your pics, music, etc should still be there.
So why don't people find a way to install custom ROM's in such a way that it does not wipe anything?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Well I am no dev by a long shot but since they have not done it yet I would say its just not that simple.

Installing an ota (which does not wipe everything) I equate to installing a rom's nightly build, where you do not need to wipe. It is really just updating the existing apks and not installing a whole new os.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
J's right. OTAs are designed as patches that only patch the /system partition (well mostly anyway). The /data partition holds your apps/data and is rarely touched in an OTA.

Because of the nature of custom ROMs, the system partition pretty much has to be fully wiped, not just patched. You actually don't always have to wipe data when flashing custom ROMs, but it's generally good practice.

sent from my phone

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Not to go against my fellow mods but we don't know what this OTA is going to do. I would wager that the upgrade a major version may bring some unexpected issues without wiping. I mean going from Eclair(2.1) to Froyo(2.2) to GB(2.3) wasn't that big of a change but ICS(4.0) is a major release. I'd be prepared for the worst here and expect a full wipe...meaning backup your data.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
You're not going against us. But don't let it happen again (just kidding). This is a bigger jump so a more cautious approach won't be a bad thing.

Reaction score
Anytime my phone gets a new os all my apps are still their.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

1tfrot

Reaction score
Not to go against my fellow mods but we don't know what this OTA is going to do. I would wager that the upgrade a major version may bring some unexpected issues without wiping. I mean going from Eclair(2.1) to Froyo(2.2) to GB(2.3) wasn't that big of a change but ICS(4.0) is a major release. I'd be prepared for the worst here and expect a full wipe...meaning backup your data.

those of us who are still stock have to worry about backing up stuff? or is it just a simple update for us?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anything irreplaceable it's good to back up anyway. Apps and such are just a real nuisance to restore should something go wrong? Anything like photos, home videos of the kids, documents, etc I already back up to dropbox in case my phone explodes, falls in water or gets stolen.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

huskur

Reaction score
those of us who are still stock have to worry about backing up stuff? or is it just a simple update for us?
The update should be smooth as seamless. That is what is meant to happen. Could you imagine they push an update and thousands of droids are rendered "useless" and peoples data is gone. If it was like that then you would never see an update. I am not saying it will go without hiccups. I am just saying that 99.8% of the users will have a smooth transition

FYI---Its a good idea to back up periodically anyway. Regardless if you are suppose to get an update.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

No you're exactly right. Even if the update isn't intended to wipe anything, a change of this magnitude could mess things up, causing a factory reset to be necessary. Hopefully they've learned from the past and this isn't the case, but hoping is sometimes way too similar to assuming. ;)

If you're stock, there's only so much you can backup. You can use a program like My Backup Pro to backup your call logs, text/sms history, internet favorites, etc. You can also use that to backup apps, but you can't backup the data within the apps unfortunately.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
How would something like a nandroid backup work? Probably wouldn't since that'll backup the OS too, right? If not, I assume titanium backup would be best?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yes a nandroid does back up everything, so it would not help if you update to the ota when it is available. And titanium works great to back up user apps and settings but obviously you need root to run it.