1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

ICS is coming?

Discussion in 'HTC Rezound' started by papat912, Mar 31, 2012.

1. papat912

papat912 New Member

If and when ICS for the HTC Rezound is coming, like next week may be, what if anything should I do to protect my set-up and files on my phone now.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
  2. hoboX10

hoboX10 New Member

I was wondering this myself (or I think it's what you're asking) as this is my first Android phone.

Will a major update like this wipe my phone even though it's an OTA update? Will I need to back up things saved to the phone? To the SD card? Both? Anything else?
  3. JSM9872

JSM9872 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Installing an OTA shouldn't wipe any apps or files from the phone. It does change the OS so there will be some big differences, but your pics, music, etc should still be there.
  4. hoboX10

hoboX10 New Member

So why don't people find a way to install custom ROM's in such a way that it does not wipe anything?
  5. JSM9872

Well I am no dev by a long shot but since they have not done it yet I would say its just not that simple.

Installing an ota (which does not wipe everything) I equate to installing a rom's nightly build, where you do not need to wipe. It is really just updating the existing apks and not installing a whole new os.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
  6. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

J's right. OTAs are designed as patches that only patch the /system partition (well mostly anyway). The /data partition holds your apps/data and is rarely touched in an OTA.

Because of the nature of custom ROMs, the system partition pretty much has to be fully wiped, not just patched. You actually don't always have to wipe data when flashing custom ROMs, but it's generally good practice.

sent from my phone
  7. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Moderator Premium Member

Not to go against my fellow mods but we don't know what this OTA is going to do. I would wager that the upgrade a major version may bring some unexpected issues without wiping. I mean going from Eclair(2.1) to Froyo(2.2) to GB(2.3) wasn't that big of a change but ICS(4.0) is a major release. I'd be prepared for the worst here and expect a full wipe...meaning backup your data.
  8. JSM9872

You're not going against us. But don't let it happen again (just kidding). This is a bigger jump so a more cautious approach won't be a bad thing.

9. droidbionicmaster

droidbionicmaster New Member

Anytime my phone gets a new os all my apps are still their.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  10. 1tfrot

1tfrot New Member

those of us who are still stock have to worry about backing up stuff? or is it just a simple update for us?
  11. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Anything irreplaceable it's good to back up anyway. Apps and such are just a real nuisance to restore should something go wrong? Anything like photos, home videos of the kids, documents, etc I already back up to dropbox in case my phone explodes, falls in water or gets stolen.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post
  12. huskur

huskur New Member

The update should be smooth as seamless. That is what is meant to happen. Could you imagine they push an update and thousands of droids are rendered "useless" and peoples data is gone. If it was like that then you would never see an update. I am not saying it will go without hiccups. I am just saying that 99.8% of the users will have a smooth transition

FYI---Its a good idea to back up periodically anyway. Regardless if you are suppose to get an update.
  13. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

No you're exactly right. Even if the update isn't intended to wipe anything, a change of this magnitude could mess things up, causing a factory reset to be necessary. Hopefully they've learned from the past and this isn't the case, but hoping is sometimes way too similar to assuming. ;)

If you're stock, there's only so much you can backup. You can use a program like My Backup Pro to backup your call logs, text/sms history, internet favorites, etc. You can also use that to backup apps, but you can't backup the data within the apps unfortunately.
  14. k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t New Member

How would something like a nandroid backup work? Probably wouldn't since that'll backup the OS too, right? If not, I assume titanium backup would be best?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
  15. JSM9872

Yes a nandroid does back up everything, so it would not help if you update to the ota when it is available. And titanium works great to back up user apps and settings but obviously you need root to run it.

16. thaDroidz

thaDroidz New Member

17. HowardZ

HowardZ New Member

The last OTA update on my Droid-X unrooted phones and had all the exploits fixed so it couldn't be rooted.
    The bootloader was also replaced with one that would refuse to load any older Verizon SBF files.
    The solution was to load SBF for the same phone from Alltell (a European cell phone company) using
    a Linux PC (linux flash doesn't touch the radio), making the Droid-X a Milestone-X (as they call it in Europe).
    Those who used Voodoo OTA rootkeeper kept their root, but everyone else had to become a rooted Milestone-X.
    Then someone who still had root (had used Voodoo) shared a nandroid backup of his /system partition,
    and everyone could go back to being a Verizon rooted os.

Anyway, the moral of the story is: It is possible that this OTA coming might make the phone unrootable?

Howard
  18. 1tfrot

1tfrot New Member

cool, thanks. sounds like I don't have to do anything then. can always go back and add internet favorites (bookmarks) manually if necessary. I'm a simple person when it comes to my phone. :biggrin:
  19. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Moderator Premium Member

Yes/no. Look at what the last one did. I have the feeling that there will be some added security in this next OTA but nothing as crippling as the last. Besides as soon as we get the RUU, a working rooted ROM can be created. On top of that since we have sanctioned unlock, the AmonRa root method should always work.
  20. Coupe

Coupe New Member

I just hope it gives me some privacey settings so I can tell my compas app that it cannot read my phone call data or access the internet whenever it wants.....OK, I am being a tiny bit vacicious but you get my point.