IBM Research Puts 1 Bit of Data on Only 12 Atoms; 1TB Mobile Storage in a Few Years

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 13, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

While this news isn't directly Android related, it does herald an interesting future for our mobile devices, and I just love bringing interesting new technological developments to our readers. I guess it is just the "techno-geek" in me, but whenever I see some amazing new advancement, I feel it must be shared. The newest advance to come down the pipe is in miniaturized storage solutions. Apparently, IBM researchers were able to place a single bit of data (1s and 0s in computer language) on to a space only 12 atoms across. To put it in perspective, current storage solutions do the same thing, but take up millions of atoms.

This advancement basically boils down to us carrying around phones with 1TB (That's Terabyte) of storage within about five years. Besides the fact that this will give our future smartphones massive storage capacity, it also means that a future flash drive could store a copy of every movie ever made in HD, and still have room to spare. Also, its important to note that this achievement was only possible at or near absolute zero temperatures; however, they were also able to achieve the same thing at room temperature on 150 atoms, which is still thousands of times more efficient than current tech.

It looks like very soon, our ability to store information will actually exceed the amount of information that we have to record. What a bright future!

Thanks for the tip, eaks14!

Source: PhoneArena
  2. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

WOW! "So what movies do you have on your phone?" Oh, all of them!
  3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

And yet, inexplicably, OEM's will still only offer like 64gb storage capacity (maybe Apple will have 128 for an extra 2 benjamins).

I think the trend is push/force us to use the cloud so they can collect data on us.
  4. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Well-Known Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Yes. I'll be happy that we can get out of the cloud! =D I like having my own data! :icon_ lala: Makes me feel like I have my own property rights back again! DancingNexus
  5. metalspring

metalspring New Member

btw in case some arent too tech savvy and arent sure what a terabyte is heres the comparison...
    1 TB (Terabyte)= 1,024 GB (Gigabytes) = 1,048,576 MB (Megabytes) = 1,073,741,824 KB (kilobytes)
  6. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Awesome. Thanks for the assist metalspring! I was hoping that someone might post something like this, since putting it directly in the story would have made it a bit "unwieldy". :)
  7. tgyberg

I have 2650 GB's of storage on my PC. It's nice but it wont all fit in a phone!
  8. metalspring

metalspring New Member

just think when people will start having petabytes (PB) or even exabytes (EB) of storage (1 exabyte= 1024 petabytes, 1 petabyte= 1024 terabytes)
    heres a comparison of both of those to the most common units of storage today (gigabytes, megabytes, kilobytes)
    1 petabyte= 1,048,576 gigabytes = 1,073,741,824 megabytes = 1,099,511,627,776 kilobytes
    1 exabyte= 1,073,741,824 gigabytes = 1,099,511,627,776 megabytes = 1,125,899,906,843,000 kilobytes

btw a good storage unit conversion tool is here
  9. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Wow, and i remember the day a 100gb hard drive was created and everyone said, "you'll never need so much storage"...
  10. metalspring

metalspring New Member

if they ever make a 100 exabyte drive i really dont think anyone would ever need that much storage...im sure you could basically fit every song ever published and every movie ever made, and all the video games ever made lmao
  11. tgyberg

Make a phone with 100 exabyte internal memory and some people on this forum would still say it isn't enough!
  12. JayR_

JayR_ Theme Developer Theme Developer

This is true

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums
  13. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Unless it has a MicroSD slot, then I can swap my 3 64 exabyte cards in as needed. :icon_ lala:
  14. Eric18

Eric18 New Member

Just wait this is only (the start) Memory Storage, soon this will be happening with Flash drives, SD Cards, Graphics Cards, Processors and more.:happy3: Smaller, Faster, Stronger, Smarter, and more Reliable :D
  15. WildcatRudy

WildcatRudy New Member

Get this: I still remember seeing in a Radio Shack catalog that they were selling a whopping 10MB Winchester hard drive as an accessory to the TRS-80. Cost: $1,995. These were in the days of loading programs from 5-1/4" floppy diskettes...or cassette. Oh, and a modem was a thing that you stuck your telephone handset in, and it transmitted data over the telephone wires at (IIRC) 110 baud.

I realize this ages me somewhat... ;)
  16. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

Kind of off topic, but anyone else get a little annoyed that 1,000gb is advertised as 1tb. I feel cheated out of that extra 24gb with my external
  17. metalspring

metalspring New Member

idk, it might still be 1024 GB, but only 1000 remains after formatting? however if it really is only 1000 gb, then yeah, that extra 24 gb would be nice since formatting makes you lose some space anyway
  18. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

Interesting video and concept but they fail to mention any ideas on how to scale back the need for a scanning electron microscope to read/write the data. :blink: That's going to make for a slightly unwieldy phone. :D Sure, your exabyte of data fits on a postage stamp but the read/write mechanism is the size of a large German Shepherd...
  19. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Music does take up a lot of storage, especially if you don't compress and use FLAC. But a lot of that is because people haven't paid for their music. Now if I wanted to d/l every episode of Seinfeld to access whenever and wherever I want, then my storage needs increase 10-fold.

Realistically, without pirating music and video the vast majority of people would never spend the money to have enough content to actually fill a 1TB drive (granted, that's only like 150 HD movies, which isn't overly cost prohibitive for movie buffs/collectors).

On the other hand, when LTE does cover the whole US, I likely ditch any sort of online storage options (limited by capacity or price) and just access everything over my home server that I can play easily on-demand. There's still pockets of 3G or no-service around the country, however, which is a problem for some. Not to mention travelers on an airplane still need the foresight to d/l/transfer whatever content they intend to use while on the plane with no signal.

Maybe the HBO GO app will eventually make the leap to letting us d/l a digital copy of content. I can already watch online as many times as I want, so at some point they should figure out how to let me d/l to watch off-line for as long as I remain a subscriber. Plus, with their "watchlist" feature to let me know when new episodes of favorites are available, that d/l could be set-up automatically.