IBM Research Puts 1 Bit of Data on Only 12 Atoms; 1TB Mobile Storage in a Few Years

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;hpKMShooDBo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hpKMShooDBo[/video]​

While this news isn't directly Android related, it does herald an interesting future for our mobile devices, and I just love bringing interesting new technological developments to our readers. I guess it is just the "techno-geek" in me, but whenever I see some amazing new advancement, I feel it must be shared. The newest advance to come down the pipe is in miniaturized storage solutions. Apparently, IBM researchers were able to place a single bit of data (1s and 0s in computer language) on to a space only 12 atoms across. To put it in perspective, current storage solutions do the same thing, but take up millions of atoms.

This advancement basically boils down to us carrying around phones with 1TB (That's Terabyte) of storage within about five years. Besides the fact that this will give our future smartphones massive storage capacity, it also means that a future flash drive could store a copy of every movie ever made in HD, and still have room to spare. Also, its important to note that this achievement was only possible at or near absolute zero temperatures; however, they were also able to achieve the same thing at room temperature on 150 atoms, which is still thousands of times more efficient than current tech.

It looks like very soon, our ability to store information will actually exceed the amount of information that we have to record. What a bright future!

Thanks for the tip, eaks14!

Source: PhoneArena

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
And yet, inexplicably, OEM's will still only offer like 64gb storage capacity (maybe Apple will have 128 for an extra 2 benjamins).

I think the trend is push/force us to use the cloud so they can collect data on us.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
btw in case some arent too tech savvy and arent sure what a terabyte is heres the comparison...
1 TB (Terabyte)= 1,024 GB (Gigabytes) = 1,048,576 MB (Megabytes) = 1,073,741,824 KB (kilobytes)

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
btw in case some arent too tech savvy and arent sure what a terabyte is heres the comparison...
1 TB (Terabyte)= 1,024 GB (Gigabytes) = 1,048,576 MB (Megabytes) = 1,073,741,824 KB (kilobytes)

Awesome. Thanks for the assist metalspring! I was hoping that someone might post something like this, since putting it directly in the story would have made it a bit "unwieldy". :)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I have 2650 GB's of storage on my PC. It's nice but it wont all fit in a phone!

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have 2650 GB's of storage on my PC. It's nice but it wont all fit in a phone!

just think when people will start having petabytes (PB) or even exabytes (EB) of storage (1 exabyte= 1024 petabytes, 1 petabyte= 1024 terabytes)
heres a comparison of both of those to the most common units of storage today (gigabytes, megabytes, kilobytes)
1 petabyte= 1,048,576 gigabytes = 1,073,741,824 megabytes = 1,099,511,627,776 kilobytes
1 exabyte= 1,073,741,824 gigabytes = 1,099,511,627,776 megabytes = 1,125,899,906,843,000 kilobytes

btw a good storage unit conversion tool is here

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, and i remember the day a 100gb hard drive was created and everyone said, "you'll never need so much storage"...

if they ever make a 100 exabyte drive i really dont think anyone would ever need that much storage...im sure you could basically fit every song ever published and every movie ever made, and all the video games ever made lmao

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
if they ever make a 100 exabyte drive i really dont think anyone would ever need that much storage...im sure you could basically fit every song ever published and every movie ever made, and all the video games ever made lmao

Make a phone with 100 exabyte internal memory and some people on this forum would still say it isn't enough!

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Make a phone with 100 exabyte internal memory and some people on this forum would still say it isn't enough!

This is true

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

B-Unit

Reaction score

Unless it has a MicroSD slot, then I can swap my 3 64 exabyte cards in as needed. :icon_ lala:

Eric18

Reaction score
Just wait this is only (the start) Memory Storage, soon this will be happening with Flash drives, SD Cards, Graphics Cards, Processors and more.:happy3: Smaller, Faster, Stronger, Smarter, and more Reliable :D

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Wow, and i remember the day a 100gb hard drive was created and everyone said, "you'll never need so much storage"...

Get this: I still remember seeing in a Radio Shack catalog that they were selling a whopping 10MB Winchester hard drive as an accessory to the TRS-80. Cost: $1,995. These were in the days of loading programs from 5-1/4" floppy diskettes...or cassette. Oh, and a modem was a thing that you stuck your telephone handset in, and it transmitted data over the telephone wires at (IIRC) 110 baud.

I realize this ages me somewhat... ;)