i910 to droid

FSTDOG

Reaction score
I have a samsung i910 and I'm getting a Motorola droid and will need to transfer all my phone numbers. What is the easiest way to complete that task.

dkscudder

Reaction score
I have a samsung i910 and I'm getting a Motorola droid and will need to transfer all my phone numbers. What is the easiest way to complete that task.

I made that same transition a few months ago. If you are getting your upgrade in the mail and don't feel like going to a Verizon store, it isn't too hard to do it yourself.

• Set your Omnia to sync with your Google contacts. If you use your calendar, you should be able to sync that data too. No need to mess with gmail at this point.
  • After your first sync, open your favorite browser on your computer and go to http://google.com/contacts. Take a minute and make sure that your contacts look the way you want them. You will probably have some duplicate contacts that you will want to merge and some anomalies that you'll want to remove.
  • Activate your Droid. You'll be prompted to put in your Google account information and your calendar and contacts will all be there!
If you don't have a Google account and don't want one, then you'll need to find another way. The Verizon store would probably be your best option. However, I would recommend just getting a Google account. They are free and it is what the phone is primarily made to work with. (I know there are other options, but I imagine Google spends the most time testing and optimizing their own service :) If you have another service you are going to use instead, you can sync to both or just turn off the Google sync once all your contacts are loaded.

Good luck and have fun. You're going from a Pinto to a Ferrari. There are some things I still miss from my Omnia, but as a package it doesn't hold a candle to my Motorola Droid.

Benton

Reaction score
DK, great post. I transitioned from the I910 (great phone really), to the Droid in November 2009. I transitioned my contacts and calendar from Outlook to Gmail on my PC then when I activated the Droid I set up the GMAIL account to sync with the phone and the contacts populated and calendar populated and have sync'd ever since. If you do not want to set up the GMAIL account you would likely need to go to a Verizon store to transition your data from one device to the next, I haven't heard of any other way.

a031363

Reaction score
Let the people at verizon do it for you, it's free.

if you are worthy of a droid, you can learn to do small tasks like this on your own. Besides what a waste of a drive!

lol, my local verizon store is next to a major grocery store and a Walmart in my area! I usually have the Verizon store do this for me, but as DK said, you can do it yourself and then you will have everything already sync'd into the Google system, which you will need to do anyway for the future!

NJsFynest

Reaction score

I made the exact same switch a couple days ago. I HATED the Omnia.

Moto Droid > Omnia

nerdbox08

Reaction score

Moto Droid > Omnia

The I910 was good for what it was. I would have loved to see the omnia 2 with android. The phone would probably have been a massive hit.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Form factor was great, but the combination of the resistive touch screen and WinMo killed it for me. I had 4 phones crap out on me before I went to the Storm -- and the Storm was an improvement....

OP, there should be a way to export your contacts, which can be imported again with the Droid. Despite the disparaging remarks, having Verizon do it is always a good choice, and they always get it right for me.

NJsFynest

Reaction score

Moto Droid > Omnia
The I910 was good for what it was. I would have loved to see the omnia 2 with android. The phone would probably have been a massive hit.

Yeah, I remember loving it when I first got it. But it grew terribly annoying, terribly fast. I just sold it for $100 on Craigslist because I wanted it far away from my life.

Form factor was great, but the combination of the resistive touch screen and WinMo killed it for me. I had 4 phones crap out on me before I went to the Storm -- and the Storm was an improvement....

OP, there should be a way to export your contacts, which can be imported again with the Droid. Despite the disparaging remarks, having Verizon do it is always a good choice, and they always get it right for me.

The touch screen was what made me hate it soo fast. I couldnt take it anymore. I went through 3 Omnias before I saw the light. I <3 my Droid and tangible keyboard.

Taegost

Reaction score
Heh, all the Verizon stores in my area have a real hard time transferring data to/from smartphones... Every phone I've gotten since I switched that did more then just make phone calls they haven't been able to take anything off of... They always tell me that the data port is blown and there's no way to hook it to a computer to download the data...
So I just take it home, plug it into my computer, and sync it with Outlook :)
Of course, when I went from my i760 to the Droid, I had Windows 7 64-bit...
Apparently, there are no 64-bit drivers for that phone... So I had to dig through my archives for my Outlook contacts from pre-Windows 7 installation, and used that to import them up to Google.
But, to summarize, if you can sync your old phone to Outlook, you can easily export your contact list and import it to the Gmail site, which will then sync it right down to your Android.
Welcome to the dark side!

jlutz555

Reaction score
log into vzw website and use their online tool to export all your contact info to .csv.

download .csv and log into your gmail and import .csv

link your gmail to your new droid and it will automatically sync all your contacts.

hth

Taegost

Reaction score
log into vzw website and use their online tool to export all your contact info to .csv.

download .csv and log into your gmail and import .csv

link your gmail to your new droid and it will automatically sync all your contacts.

hth

I think most VZ smart phones can't use VZ Backup, so it can't sync the contacts with the site.
Well, I don't know if most can't, but I know the i760 and all the rest that came out around that time couldn't. I'm not sure if it was an issue with the VZ Backup, or because most VZ smart phones don't have access to the full VZ Market, or whatever it's called.

tkstock

Reaction score

Moto Droid > Omnia

Overall, I liked the Omnia (I installed a WM 6.5 ROM), but performance was lacking, the screen was so-so to blah, but the features and capabilities were decent. I wanted to upgrade to the Omnia II but couldn't wait for it to come out, so I got the Droid - and haven't looked back since. I love the interoperability with Google, all the apps that are available, and the performance (esp o/c at 800MHz) is relatively outstanding.