VZW insurance

krnmc

Reaction score
i recent bought the droid on craigslist and i activated the phone over the air and in order to activate the phone i needed to talk to the tech doode. since i was going from bb tour to droid. and the guy told me he needs me to take me off the insurance plan because the phone isnt brand new. but because its a used, phone.

Was he making that up? or is it true? Cause i changed phones numerous amounts from i910 to omnia 2 to eris,droid,tour and back to droid.

shiccy

Reaction score
I have a feeling the insurance coverage / provider is probably different... Just be very careful with your phone!

OP
krnmc

krnmc

Reaction score
but my thing is im paying for the insurance so it shouldnt matter if the phone is used or new, correct?

ogDroid

Reaction score
Not positive about Verizon's policy, but I'm an at&t rep and when it comes to adding asurion insurance to a device it must be within 30 days of the phones purchase. This is due to insurance fraud. Without this policy people would simply buy a broken $600 phone for $50 off craigslist/ebay, add a $7 insurance feature and get a new device from asurion.

OP
krnmc

krnmc

Reaction score
hm... never saw it that way.. haha in that case i guess it makes sense. Well from what i know you have to pay $90 to do a phone claim. Well i guess i just have to go to the store and prove to them that the phone isnt broken? lol I really appreciate the Post!

Never thought people would do things like that, but i guess some people are just shady.

shiccy

Reaction score
The thing is they (and you) don't know what exactly is going on with the phone / if there's anything that was wrong with it to begin with. As in maybe the person that sold you the phone had a defective phone in some way. They don't want to pay for this.

Another way of thinking of it is that they're not typically in the business of selling insurance to pay for other service providers phones... There's only a few providers that have that capability and still be functional with VZW network, but it's still possible.

There's a few insurance companies that will insure phones if you didn't get insurance initially. If you're super interested in getting it, I'll have to dig a bit, but a friend just posted something about one such company recently on FB...

Finally, it's not a necessity to definitely have insurance on your phone. If your phone gets hosed and it's your fault, you might be in trouble, but otherwise you'll be just fine without. I've never had insurance on it, and can't fathom these insurance companies taking any more $$ than VZW is already taking for my use of this phone.

OP
krnmc

krnmc

Reaction score
Well yeah i get what you are saying. the phone is i bought was brand new so im fine with it but i just thought it was random cause i changed my phone numerous # of time past 3 months and this was the first time it happened and i was just little shocked and caught off guard, and the he gave me a little attitude which made it worst but w.e im fine w.o the insurance its not like i use it anyways. Lol and i take care of phones so more $ in my pocket!

Thankssss for the Replies! =]