HTC One M8 - Synchronising Dropbox Photos with Gallery

Squibbles80

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC ONE M8
Folks,

I have a problem or my understanding of HTC Sense is flawed.

I have just switched from a Samsung Galaxy S3 to a HTC One M8. I am hoping someone can help correct either my understanding or what may be a genuine problem..

I am finding the phone a pain at the moment and HTC Sense to be a bit flawed compared to TouchWizz but this may just be my preference.

I have a problem with Dropbox (or my understanding of the way it works on HTC). As I understand it and from my previous experience with Samsung - pictures which are synchronised to Dropbox - are stored in 2 folders:

1) Camera Uploads.
2) Photos

Each directory of which is synchronised and viewable in your phone "Gallery".

I previously used the HTC Transfer Tool to move stuff from my old phone to the new HTC.

I will add though I am pretty sure that the "integration" works in this manner.

Answers so far from:

HTC UK - "We stopped partnering with Dropbox as of last year and hence not possible"
- " Possible with Google Drive"

Vodafone - "No idea"

So my problem:

The pictures on Dropbox are not synchronising/showing up in my "Gallery" in the HTC One M8. Not showing up as Albums, Timeline, Events etc.

This functionality is important to me but may not be too others, so would appreciate some assistance if I am doing something wrong or to resolve.

Thanks.
Squibbles80
Last edited by Squibbles80; Today at 03:33 PM.​

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
Hi Squibbles. Although I don't really fully understand why, the answer you got from HTC and on the other forum suggest that indeed, DropBox photo sync with your device won't work any more.

You could use Google Drive, as HTC suggested, but I'd recommend using the Copy app . Copy is a cloud service, like DropBox and Box, and it has a feature called "PhotoCopy" that you can set to automatically upload all photos you take to the PhotoCopy folder in your Copy account. There is no file size upload limit, and your photos are available from either your device or your computer. They give you 15GB of storage free forever, then you can earn 5GB more for each referal.

Just remember with any such service you use to set it to only upload when you're on WiFi, if you have to watch mobile data consumption. (thanks to @Efin on the S5 forum for that reminder) :)

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a Samsung S3 and an S4 and cannot do "exactly" what you are describing any more than I can on my LG phone without Touchwiz. They both work the same.

The problem as I see it is with the word "sync". DropBox will upload your photos/camera to the cloud automatically if you wish and those uploads will be available to any device with that DropBox account. There is no real "sync" and certainly not with Gallery. Gallery will sync with Google but otherwise Gallery only indexes items stored on the phone and the only things that are actually stored there are cached images not the actual files.

So, either I helped to clear something up or stirred the mud. ;)

OP
S

Squibbles80

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC ONE M8
Thank You both for the replies.

It looks as though my understanding may have got muddled in the water somewhere then. So to clarify what I thought was happening with the S3..

I was able to see all the pictures from the Camera Uploads Folder in Gallery and I was also able to see all my "Albums" i.e. Pictures stored in separate folders as "Albums" from within Gallery.

This was all within from within Gallery - hence no real need to go to Dropbox App other than to retrive documents.

When moving over to the HTC, I used the Using the HTC Transfer Tool and copied items over and what was created were "Albums" for example Wedding, Sony Play Memories etc in Gallery.

What I failed to check though was whether this was stored on the device storage inside DCIM folder or Albums folder or being retrieved directly from Dropbox.

Make sense?