HP Plans to Announce Snazzy Looking 14-Inch Android Laptop

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hp_slatebook_14_2.jpg

Leave it to HP to do what they do best. According to some leaked info, HP will be offering a snazzy looking new laptop soon. While that may not be surprising, the build of this device is rather unique. It will actually be an Android based laptop (with touch-screen) and offer a host of hardware reminiscent of an Android tablet.

Here's the spec-sheet:

• NVIDIA Tegra processor (whether it’s Tegra 4 or Tegra K1 is unknown at this time)
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 1080p HD 14-inch display
  • HDMI-out
  • Built-in webcam
  • 3x USB ports
  • Beats Audio speakers
As you can see from the spec-list, the device has the potential to be a decent device. It's model name will be the HP SlateBook 14, and we have included a few pics which came along with the leaked intel. There were some videos, but they no longer appear to be working (at least at the time of this post).

What do you think? If you were in need of a laptop, would you consider an Android based one from HP?

Source: Phandroid

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here are more pics:

hp_slatebook_14_8_beats.jpg

hp_slatebook_14_7_touchscreen.jpg

hp_slatebook_14_1.jpg

hp_slatebook_14_4_cover_fondo.jpg

hp_slatebook_14_6_porte.jpg

hp_slatebook_14_3_beatsaudio.jpg

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Like the look but skeptical because the Transformer is basically an android laptop and it has some lag (which I think is the result of the tegra chip) issues. Maybe Kit Kat will help with that said it is a nice looking computer and I do have interests. But whether or not that interest turns into a purchase will determined by reviews and hands on time showing that it can handle the demands of a personal computer as well as the track record of the oem for keeping up with updates.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Price will be the ultimate factor.

Big time factor. Being a full HD touchscreen, thats going to really up the price. You can get laptops that will trump those specs in a heart beat for $400 bucks. I can't see this being less. The only thing that makes it worth it is that apps are so much cheaper on Android. Sure you can't get a full blown office suite but OfficePro, Google Docs and the rest are more than enough for basic documents.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
So, if this is competitively priced (compared to the Transformer Prime), and can work on the same hardware as a Chromebook, why do I need a Windows based laptop again? Hell, why do I even need a Chromebook?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Big time factor. Being a full HD touchscreen, thats going to really up the price. You can get laptops that will trump those specs in a heart beat for $400 bucks.

Exactly. Probably a big miss not making the screen detachable like the Transformer.

And laptops are upgradeable - meaning you can usually upgrade to at least 4gigs of ram cheaply...plus add a ton of storage cheap.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Probably a big miss not making the screen detachable like the Transformer.

And laptops are upgradeable - meaning you can usually upgrade to at least 4gigs of ram cheaply...plus add a ton of storage cheap.

Wizbang, like detachable keyboards usually equate to costly components, which then equates to high prices. If HP can develop an actual Android laptop, cheaper than an iPad, they will fly off the shelves.

Then their second go round could be a model with higher end specs, for a slight boast in cost. Still, better than a Windows machine, that cost 400 dollars, that does nothing very well because it's specs are so far down the scale, it's almost useless.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Really cool, but totally depends on price. Might as well get a Win8 laptop/tablet combo if it's going to be about the same price, simply because you can do more with a computer OS such as Windows, Mac OSX, and some Linux distros. Maybe if you can dual boot, but I know Google and Microsoft weren't wanting ASUS to have that.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
As someone who owns 2, count 'em 2, Transformers.... MEH.

I have the Android TF300T and the newer Windows TF100A....

BUT... a 14 inch display... now that's nice.

_33

Reaction score
There are still some things I just don't like doing on any of the tablets I've owned. Like a lot of actual typing is the biggest one. My Note 10.1 is so amazing in almost every way, except when I have to do a lot of typing. This may be something I can finally rid myself of ever using my Win 7 laptop again for. Now if I could just find an Android based media sharing device for all of our movies I would be Microsoft free!

blacksoxing

Reaction score
I bet it'll be about $700-$800

The first time for anything is always the most expensive...