HOW To Root Verizon Galaxy Note 3!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;019h0nVC1fE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=019h0nVC1fE&feature=c4-overview&list=UU1J4DKcJXENzC-FkyMU6dow[/video]

The method is pretty simple.

Flash the proper file in odin

Add a few files to your sd card, reboot

Remove the files you added, reboot

Enjoy!

Grab the files needed here:Root de la Vega [SM-N900V KNOX 0x0] - xda-developers

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Great video as always sir.

squeak

Reaction score
the download link is not working for me. I've been putting off the OTA planning to root this way so i can avoid kango that supposedly has spyware. anyone have a mirror of root de la vega?

ripper2860

Reaction score
So that's a perfect segue to my question ...

If you've taken the OTA update, will this process to gain ROOT work?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P

squeak

Reaction score
I haven't taken the update for that reason, still searching for root de LA vega. I've heard that there's a way you can take the ota and maintain root if you've already rooted.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I haven't taken the update for that reason, still searching for root de LA vega. I've heard that there's a way you can take the ota and maintain root if you've already rooted.

Works for some, didn't for me. Had to use Kingo.

I think some have posted Dropbox links for RDLV over at Xda if you want to search there.

ripper2860

Reaction score
OK. Based on reading Kachow's other post (Bye-Bye Kingo), let me see if I have this straight as it relates to ROOT after taking the OTA update ...

1. Root De La Vega does not work to gain ROOT after the update.
2. Kingo will give you ROOT after the update, but Kingo is baaaad and you don't want to leave it installed.
3. Kingo can be removed after using it to gain ROOT by downloading Chainfire's SU 1.65 APK and flashing it using Flash Gordon to flash w/ no Recovery required.

Is my understanding correct, so far?

If so ...

4. Will this process work to gain ROOT after the OTA, even if you did not have ROOT prior to the OTA?
5. Will Kingo increment KNOX or will it leave KNOX untouched at 0x0?

Thanks!!!!!!

KaChow

Reaction score
OK. Based on reading Kachow's other post (Bye-Bye Kingo), let me see if I have this straight as it relates to ROOT after taking the OTA update ...Thanks!!!!!!

1. Root De La Vega does not work to gain ROOT after the update. Correct
2. Kingo will give you ROOT after the update, but Kingo is baaaad and you don't want to leave it installed. Correct, not Long Term.
3. Kingo can be removed after using it to gain ROOT by downloading Chainfire's SU 1.65 APK and flashing it using Flash Gordon to flash w/ no Recovery required. Incorrect/Mostly.

With Root enabled through Kingo go ahead and install Safestrap current version 3.64. Next, download SuperSU Pro zip and store to your Internal/External card (as you will need to install it at a later point). Go ahead and Install Safestrap, this requires you downloading the app and installing same as any other app. With app Installed make sure that Safestrap says it is Installed Recovery and then exit out. Next go into your App Drawer and find SuperSU and find Settings, VERY CAREFULL WITH THIS STEP> scroll down to Switch superuser app (towards the bottom) and select it. YOU WILL LOSE KINGO'S ROOT. IMPORTANT> DO NOT FREAK OUT, REBOOT AND WHEN THE DEVICE RELOADS> AT THE SAFESTRAP SCREEN HIT "RECOVERY" GO IN AND HIT "INSTALL" FIND THE SUPERSU.ZIP AND BAM!!! PERFECTLY NEW!!! BETTER THEN EVER ROOT! Open SU and Grant SuperUser! Enjoy!

The rest is History!

squeak

Reaction score
OK. Based on reading Kachow's other post (Bye-Bye Kingo), let me see if I have this straight as it relates to ROOT after taking the OTA update ...

1. Root De La Vega does not work to gain ROOT after the update.
2. Kingo will give you ROOT after the update, but Kingo is baaaad and you don't want to leave it installed.
3. Kingo can be removed after using it to gain ROOT by downloading Chainfire's SU 1.65 APK and flashing it using Flash Gordon to flash w/ no Recovery required.

Is my understanding correct, so far?

If so ...

4. Will this process work to gain ROOT after the OTA, even if you did not have ROOT prior to the OTA?
5. Will Kingo increment KNOX or will it leave KNOX untouched at 0x0?

Thanks!!!!!!

I have zero experience with kingo(I hope to keep it that way) but I've read that it sends info about your phone to a Chinese site DURING the root process, so while I surely would uninstall it if you've already used it, it isn't necessarily safe to use just because you plan to get rid of it afterwards. on a side note I've found the root de la vega file on android geeks.

KaChow

Reaction score
I have zero experience with kingo(I hope to keep it that way) but I've read that it sends info about your phone to a Chinese site DURING the root process, so while I surely would uninstall it if you've already used it, it isn't necessarily safe to use just because you plan to get rid of it afterwards. on a side note I've found the root de la vega file on android geeks.

I think you may be misinformed with all the information that you are presenting. If you have not updated and to save time here the version you are running is the I9 which is the original version that is supported by Root de la vega, (it is also supported by Kingo, as Kingo pushes Root through "adb shell") but back to the point DLV ONLY WORKS ON I9. Those of us that took the update followed the correct steps of Hiding Root, we all know to Hide Root through SuperSU Pro, and restore the Bianaries on the other side, however this OTA, was PACKED with new Binaries designed to break Root, and it did. While some were successful in maintaining Root others lost Root all together. Including me, I lost Root, Hashcode Lost Root. We started looking for alternative ways to restore Root, designgears and DLV was not effective against the new binaries that closed the previous ones and as Hashcode would say the kexec put an end to development on 4.3 and Safestrap is the best chance at Recovery for Locked devices. Fact of the matter is, DLV is out of the picture for those of us that took the OTA, the Binaries are closed, there are no new Bounties for J7 Root, and most Developers are taking the risk with Kingo to get Root anyhow to. To me I want my Root, I rely on it, because it is a piece of freedom of choice and right that I want. The information on my phone is up for grabs by essentially essentially everyone, Google, Verizon, Samsung, Kingo, and I sure the list goes on and on. I can try to safeguard my info hire private agencies to protect it as I do, monitor my info and that's the best I can. If I use an app that shares my info to China to gain me Root access, that I can terminate, to get a pure SuperUser access, then by heck I'll do it. Whoever said Hacking a phone was safe, we do this because we attempt to find the safest ways possible so that we can share it with the community, Risk and Reward can be powerful terms.

squeak

Reaction score
I was unaware that people were hiding root and not successfully keeping root, I just read a couple of accounts of people who had successfully kept it that way. I am on I9, the link I found for Root De La Vega wouldn't download past 97% so I'm still searching. You speak of risk and reward, and I am willing to risk wasting some time trying to find and use RDLV just to update and lose it for the potential reward of not using Kingo. Thanks for the insight about some not maintaining root even with hiding it before taking the OTA. I have to agree, if I do lose root taking to OTA I will be willing to risk using Kingo, but I'm trying to avoid it.

KaChow

Reaction score
I was unaware that people were hiding root and not successfully keeping root, I just read a couple of accounts of people who had successfully kept it that way. I am on I9, the link I found for Root De La Vega wouldn't download past 97% so I'm still searching. You speak of risk and reward, and I am willing to risk wasting some time trying to find and use RDLV just to update and lose it for the potential reward of not using Kingo. Thanks for the insight about some not maintaining root even with hiding it before taking the OTA. I have to agree, if I do lose root taking to OTA I will be willing to risk using Kingo, but I'm trying to avoid it.

I'm going to hook you up (it's a large file so give it time.) ADrive | Online Storage, Online Backup, Cloud Storage Also, if my memory serves me correctly you need to download Bittorrent (I prefer) for use with RDLV. Let me know when you have this link, so I can pull it down. All credit to designgears for this Root method! You can Thank me for the link:happy3: As I keep all this stuff...:biggrin:

ripper2860

Reaction score
1. Root De La Vega does not work to gain ROOT after the update. Correct
2. Kingo will give you ROOT after the update, but Kingo is baaaad and you don't want to leave it installed. Correct, not Long Term.
3. Kingo can be removed after using it to gain ROOT by downloading Chainfire's SU 1.65 APK and flashing it using Flash Gordon to flash w/ no Recovery required. Incorrect/Mostly.

With Root enabled through Kingo go ahead and install Safestrap current version 3.64. Next, download SuperSU Pro zip and store to your Internal/External card (as you will need to install it at a later point). Go ahead and Install Safestrap, this requires you downloading the app and installing same as any other app. With app Installed make sure that Safestrap says it is Installed Recovery and then exit out. Next go into your App Drawer and find SuperSU and find Settings, VERY CAREFULL WITH THIS STEP> scroll down to Switch superuser app (towards the bottom) and select it. YOU WILL LOSE KINGO'S ROOT. IMPORTANT> DO NOT FREAK OUT, REBOOT AND WHEN THE DEVICE RELOADS> AT THE SAFESTRAP SCREEN HIT "RECOVERY" GO IN AND HIT "INSTALL" FIND THE SUPERSU.ZIP AND BAM!!! PERFECTLY NEW!!! BETTER THEN EVER ROOT! Open SU and Grant SuperUser! Enjoy!

The rest is History!

Kachow -- thanks for the clarification. I'm still a bit confused, however ...

So where does FlashGordon come into the mix? I thought I could use it instead of installing SS. Your other post stated you had issues with SS and were able to use Flash Gordon instead of installing a recovery to flash apps like SU -- at least that is how I interpreted your other post.

Again -- THANKS!!!

KaChow

Reaction score
Kachow -- thanks for the clarification. I'm still a bit confused, however ...

So where does FlashGordon come into the mix? I thought I could use it instead of installing SS. Your other post stated you had issues with SS and were able to use Flash Gordon instead of installing a recovery to flash apps like SU -- at least that is how I interpreted your other post.

Again -- THANKS!!!

Actually, that is a good point and I did overlook the FlashGordon.apk , as Safestrap is a better viable option as it creates somewhat a "sticky bond" that is when the device boots the Samsung Note 3 Boot Logo appears> then the Safestrap "recovery or continue" screen appears> then the Bootanimation then the setup begins. When "recovery" is selected on the Safestrap option, there is an installer that runs either internal or external zips, which is a nice feature (for those without sd cards.) which it also gets the su zip installed up front.

In terms of FlashGordon, I would hold on to that option as a backup, I know what I said earlier, but I've tested the Safestrap theory with other Devs and it appears to work more effectively. Please follow the method that I laid out in the original response to your thread, and also note there is a Stable version of Safestrap 3.65 and also a newer version of Chainfire's SU v1.69.