How to fund kids' Google accounts

dbronstein

Reaction score
I just got my kids smartphones and naturally they want to get apps out of the Play Store. I don't want to put a credit card on their google accounts, so what is the best way to add money to their accounts?

They have Amazon accounts for their kindles, and when they want to put money on them, I buy an amazon gift card from my account and apply it to their accounts. It's a bit of a kludge, but it works because I can buy a gc for any amount and get it instantly. I was hoping I could do the same with the google accounts, but it seems like you can only buy physical gift cards for Google play and only in certain amounts.

It looks like I could send them money from my google wallet account, but you have to pay credit card fees, and I'm hesitant to link a debit card to my account.

Is there an easy way to do this? Or even a not-so-easy way? :)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
There may be other ways...but the only safe, easy way I have found is the G Play gift cards. I have two daughters with phones also, and they like to buy apps once in a while but music often. I buy G Play gift cards and add them to their phones. Its pretty quick and easy. I have seen them in $10 and $15 increments. Works great for me. If there is an easier way without adding credit card numbers to their phones, I am not aware of it.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
+1 on the Gift Card. You control the amount with zero exposure.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Here's another vote for the gift card. For them to receive money sent from Google wallet, they'll have to have a Google wallet account. And if I'm not mistaken they'll have to be at least 13 years old to have their own Google wallet account.

Tapped from a Moto X

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Here's another vote for the gift card. For them to receive money sent from Google wallet, they'll have to have a Google wallet account. And if I'm not mistaken they'll have to be at least 13 years old to have their own Google wallet account.

Tapped from a Moto X
According to the Google accounts FAQ, you have to be 18 to have a Wallet account. Not sure if that's still 100% true. Me personally, I don't want my kids to have a Waller account just yet, even if 13 is the age....that's just my opinion though.

Reactions: CJM

bigmatt503

Reaction score
I'm a grown man and have a debit card and credit cards and still choose to use Google play gift cards.... Easy to find at Wal mart and most grocery stores

Sent from my rooted Verizon galaxy s5

OP
D

dbronstein

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Again, my issue with the gift cards is that you can only get them in certain amounts and you have to go out and buy them. I was hoping there was a way to do it online without having to go to the store every time they want to put money on their accounts. But it doesn't seem like there is.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for the responses. Again, my issue with the gift cards is that you can only get them in certain amounts and you have to go out and buy them. I was hoping there was a way to do it online without having to go to the store every time they want to put money on their accounts. But it doesn't seem like there is.
Not that I am aware of...have never found an "online" only version like Amazon cards. I think you have to physically buy them.