How much of my soul to Google?

DaddyRabbit

Reaction score
Just received my DX. It's charging as we speak and its tough keeping my hands off!

To the question...

I used VZ backup to backup my Storm contacts. I also set up a Gmail account. I currently sync my Outlook contacts to the Storm but seem to be hearing that this doesn't work with the DX. I really don't want to keep my contacts in Googles cloud, nor do I want to use Gmail since I pay for premium mail and a domain from Yahoo.

I know I can have Gmail sync my Yahoo inbox and I can export Outlook to a CSV file and import into Gmail contacts but this seems overly complex. Note that I don't have contacts in Yahoo mail either, I keep them all locally on the BB or Outlook.

Any helpful hints would be appreciated. I don't want to get into the contacts all over the place mess I have been reading about.

Pravius

Reaction score
Setup your gmail account via IMAP in outlook. Download google sync on your phone sync your contact via google sync phone to outlook.. google account is a secondary account used for syncing to outlook.

Not sure that made sense.. lol

you picking up what I am laying down?

OP
DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit

Reaction score
Setup your gmail account via IMAP in outlook. Download google sync on your phone sync your contact via google sync phone to outlook.. google account is a secondary account used for syncing to outlook.

Not sure that made sense.. lol

you picking up what I am laying down?

Thanks Pravius I think I get what you are saying and I'll give it a try.

I already setup Facebook and now have a ton of contacts (that I don't call) in my contacts :( This is going to be a long day, lucky I'm off work!

Hope you get yours soon!

tobytl

Reaction score
If you really don't trust google, and you're already using vz backup assistant, you can continue using backup assistant. The DX and the D2 both have backup assistant syncing baked into the ROM, all you need to do is put in the PIN you're already using. I'm also pretty sure the backup assistant contacts won't sync with google at all, but you can turn off google sync if it bothers you (this will disable the gmail clients auto delivery, as well as app/contacts syncing with google).

I can't personally condone this, as I trust google far more than verizon, but it can be done. As mentioned above, you can also set up gmail accounts to run via IMAP in another app in the phone as well to get gmail email access if needed later.

If you need more than contacts, you can try out Missing Sync for Android. It syncs contacts, calenders, notes, etc from your pc to the phone via wifi/bt/usb. It's pricey at $40, but I expect it's the alternative to doing it the free way via google.

lamb3270

Reaction score
How do I authenticate my gmail account? I have a droid 2. It keeps telling me my password is incorrect but will not give me an option to put in my verification numbers.