Starting from Scratch

JTAndrews

Reaction score
I have so many problems with my contacts that I want to re-set my phone and start over as if I have never used it before- a clean slate, so to speak.

I think my problem is caused by syncing from multiple sources. To solve my problem, I think I need to delete all my contacts in Google and start over.

A brief history of where I've been...

I initially uploaded my Outlook contacts to Google with a csv file, then I synced Outlook with CompanionLink and Deja Office. I also manually entered contacts that were not in Outlook from my previous phone. Since then we've set up an exchange server at work, and I am now using Corporate Sync for contacts, calendar and email. I've uninstalled CompanionLink because I had problems keeping tasks current. As a result of these various sync operations, I now have multiple mis-information in many of my contacts. It seems that many fields have been exchanged between contacts.

Where I'm planning to go...

I plan to start by deleting everything in Google. After doing that I will do a factory reset on my phone. Next I will set up Corporate Sync to get my Outlook contacts in the phone. Any remaining contacts that I have in the phone will be entered manually or through Outlook.

Am I heading in the right direction? Any advice that someone can give me regarding any of this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
JT

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
I have so many problems with my contacts that I want to re-set my phone and start over as if I have never used it before- a clean slate, so to speak.

I think my problem is caused by syncing from multiple sources. To solve my problem, I think I need to delete all my contacts in Google and start over.

A brief history of where I've been...

I initially uploaded my Outlook contacts to Google with a csv file, then I synced Outlook with CompanionLink and Deja Office. I also manually entered contacts that were not in Outlook from my previous phone. Since then we've set up an exchange server at work, and I am now using Corporate Sync for contacts, calendar and email. I've uninstalled CompanionLink because I had problems keeping tasks current. As a result of these various sync operations, I now have multiple mis-information in many of my contacts. It seems that many fields have been exchanged between contacts.

Where I'm planning to go...

I plan to start by deleting everything in Google. After doing that I will do a factory reset on my phone. Next I will set up Corporate Sync to get my Outlook contacts in the phone. Any remaining contacts that I have in the phone will be entered manually or through Outlook.

Am I heading in the right direction? Any advice that someone can give me regarding any of this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
JT

I'll be checking to see what kinds of answers you get, JT. I was just now contemplating deleting all of my contacts in Google and then syncing my phone, in the hopes that the contacts in my phone would then populate my Google contacts ... but I chickened out because I had no way of knowing if, in fact, that would happen, and I feared that all of my contacts would disappear.

In any case, I've had it up to my ears with the confusion between phone contacts and Google contacts. I want one set of contacts, period, that I can access either through the contacts app on my phone or in Google on my computer.

OP
J

JTAndrews

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm brave, impatient, or stupid

... but I've decided to forge onward...

I am seriously starting from zero. I've deleted ALL my Google contacts on line, and I'm in the middle of a factory reset right now. Once I complete the factory reset, I will set up the Corporate Sync with my company's Exchange Server. Hopefully, this will migrate my Outlook contacts, calendar, and email back to the phone.

Once this is accomplished, I've got to decide how to get my other contacts (primarily phone numbers) into the phone. I have all my contacts from my old phone in an Excel spreadsheet. There aren't a ton of these that are not in Outlook. So I guess I can add them manually. I'm just not sure whether to load them into the phone or do it online.

I guess part of my trouble is confusion over lynced contacts. I don't know the precise difference between 'Phone contacts' and 'Google contacts.' I guess I need to do a little more research on this topic.

Hopefully, I'll get some input from this thread.

JT

OP
J

JTAndrews

Reaction score
It's not working like I expected...

When I brought the phone up after the factory reset I was surprised to find that all my apps were restored. I was expecting to have to go to the Market to re-download them all, but I didn't have to. Good news, I thought.

I restored the Corporate Sync, and my Outlook contacts showed up as well as my calendar and email. I also restored my personal Comcast (POP3) account.

I checked GMail, and there were no contacts there. There still aren't any there.

I thought I was heading down the right road. But, when I checked my contacts in detail my original problem was back!

I have several fields that seem to be cross-referenced between contacts. My contact info for John Doe has his correct home phone, and his correct cell phone. But it also has Joe Doaks' cell phone and John Smith's email. If I go to Joe Doaks' contact, it has all the correct info for him, and it may (or may not) have someone else's info. As near as I can tell it seems that it's always extra info that is entered in a contact (and it is always info that applies to someone else). I don't think I am losing any information- just gaining a bunch of extra info that is incorrect.

So now I am at a total loss. I'm not sure that the factory reset really puts my phone back a square one, and I haven't solved my original problem.

Anyone have any ideas?
JT