How I ruined my Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyRussian

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just a rant.

Got my bionic yesterday, got to the office, rooted with one click - everything went smooth without any problems. Then I started to remove the bloatware. My office computer did not have ADB installed so I downloaded Titanium backup - what a powerful program - and fired it up. I removed:
Amazon Kindle
Blockbuster
Citrix
City ID
GoToMeeting
IM
NFL Mobile
Slacker
Social Location
Social Networking
ALL of V CAST crap
and VZ Navigator

After all said and done - Bionic was fine and running a bit snappier.

I should've stopped then - it was a perfect setup - almost as clean as Google phone.

But, I've decided to take one more look into what's there and accidently removed Yahoo Authentication - without having to back it up first. Well, after that, contact wouldnt open forceclosing with an error. Search for SBF was unsuccessful, installing Yahoo from Market did not help.

Sooo.... I had to install ADB on my office PC, removed suprersuer.apk, removed titanium backup, removed settings.apk along a few other system apks and went to Verizon. Since they couldnt get into settings and run factory restore (eventhough restore wouldnt have brought the removed apps) exchanged it on the spot for a new one.

AZDroid09

Reaction score
Titanium is great, especially if you Freeze an app first to see if there are any issues with it being out of commission, then you can unfreeze it to make your phone happy again if you need to. Much easier and safer than deleting :)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think you coulda used one from a system dump or someone else coulda pulled one from their phone.

At least we got a somewhat starting list of what to and what not to remove..:happy:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Seriously? You returned a perfectly good phone because of your mistake? Man I can't wait until VZW starts checking devices and then charges you for rooting and causing your own issue.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Don't delete or freeze anything yahoo related.
It will mess up the contacts.

Its been this way on the D3 so im assuming the same for the Bionic.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Seriously? You returned a perfectly good phone because of your mistake? Man I can't wait until VZW starts checking devices and then charges you for rooting and causing your own issue.

Yep, always read and research before doing things like this.
If VZ finds out, they could very well charge you full retail.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
And then people complain about Verizon screwing the consumer. How about the other way around? No wonder they charge us so much. Verizon is the one who should be ranting, not the crazy OP.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
So basically don't mess with yahoo but all the others are fair game to freeze? Got it.

I froze pretty much every bloatware app with the exception of NFL Mobile since I use it, and I am fine.

All I know so far is DON'T FREEZE anything yahoo related.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I froze pretty much every bloatware app with the exception of NFL Mobile since I use it, and I am fine.

All I know so far is DON'T FREEZE anything yahoo related.

Okay that's good. I've been kind of waiting to buy Titanium Back Up because of the cost. I wish I could find it free but I might end up buying it anyways.

M

Mullensbb

how do you remove those once its rooted? in mass storage mode? just delete?

OP
C

CrazyRussian

Reaction score

Yes I did. Any other questions?

Yep, always read and research before doing things like this.
If VZ finds out, they could very well charge you full retail.

Well, once it out of my possession, there is no telling who or what was done to the phone. Was it rooted? Not when I handed it to Verizon rep.

Now, I posted this post for others to see what can and should not be removed, not for sympathy, counseling, lecturing, or any other crap, so get off your righteous horses. Don’t like it? Roll up your eyes and move on to the next thread.

OP
C

CrazyRussian

Reaction score
how do you remove those once its rooted? in mass storage mode? just delete?

I've downloaded on and installed ADB, then connected phone to PC and switched it to "PC Mode", ADB recognized the device and then:
su (Login as root)
mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system (system to read-write mode)
rm -r /system/app/<AppName>.apk

mount -o remount,ro -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system (system to read only)

to lookup .apk file name:
cd /system/app
ls *.apk

Abadus

Reaction score
No need to delete just rename. Do not do the same thing to you phone that the OP did to theirs. Besides someone could have gotten any file for you that was damaged / lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.