How do I transfer Droid 1 SD card to Razr Maxx?

alann9

Reaction score
OK, I took my old SD Card out of my Droid 1 (DroidDinosaur?) and installed it in my Razr Maxx. The Maxx laid down a new empty file directory for Docs, DCIM, etc. Using 3rd-party apps like Astro & ES File, I can't find my old files/data anywhere. They just can't see it. Neither can any of my apps. Photos, Documents, downloads, backups, all gone. Well, one piece of weirdness: When I went to set wallpaper and used MyGallery, that brought up all my old photos. But other installed or 3rd-party app can see any of the old stuff. I took the sd card out and looked at it on my PC using a USB adapter and everything's there, intact. But Maxx can't see it.

Anybody solved this problem? I just want to be able to point apps to my old data, I want to see and point to my old photos, my old videos, my old apps/backups. I'm thinking I'm going to have to move them all into the new structure using the PC, but I'm wondering if anyone else has found a way to point to the old files on a new phone.

Thanks!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hmmmmm, your og DROID can see all of the files but the maxx can't. If i were you I would consider using a file transfer app, moving the files on to the og, place the SD card in the maxx and format the card.

Reinsert the SD into the og, transfer the files back into the SD, put it back in the maxx and see what that does.

REMEMBER TO TRANSFER THE FILES OR BACK THEM UP!!
Hope this helps?

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

Edit: this should just be plug and play. I used the 16 GB SD card from my x in NY x, x2, bionic and both of my maxx's. All files and data integrated just fine

Last edited:

darus77

Reaction score
When I did the same thing on my OG Razr, an additional item appeared, "sdcard-ext". If you are looking at "sdcard", you are most likely working with the phone's internal storage.

OP
A

alann9

Reaction score
Nope. That would be too easy :)

Hmmmmm, your og DROID can see all of the files but the maxx can't. If i were you I would consider using a file transfer app, moving the files on to the og, place the SD card in the maxx and format the card.

Reinsert the SD into the og, transfer the files back into the SD, put it back in the maxx and see what that does.

REMEMBER TO TRANSFER THE FILES OR BACK THEM UP!!
Hope this helps?

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

Edit: this should just be plug and play. I used the 16 GB SD card from my x in NY x, x2, bionic and both of my maxx's. All files and data integrated just fine
No, that's almost the Verizon Standard Response: Save it off, reformat the card, put it back. I did find a workaround, but it doesn't answer the question "What's happening?" or "Where's it putting the new/old directory?" The response below is interesting; i.e. that the "SDCard" is actually just a label on the phone memory, although that would really suck.
Here's what I did, along with some additional evidence that, when I have the time to track it down, might lead to an answer:
  1. When I use a USB adapter, I can see my old data and that's ALL I see. So I saved everything onto my laptop (and backed it all up, as-is, to another 16GB SDCard).
  2. Then, with the SDCard back in the phone, I hooked up the phone to the USB of my PC and enabled USB data mode, so the PC saw it as an external drive. Interestingly, NOW, I could only see the NEW directory structure. So...
  3. I copied the data I needed from the directories backed up on the PC to new directories (and a few to the phone's defaults). I created the new directories ("D1-etc") as a marker, so I can hunt them down in the future when I have time and to map to in 3rd-party apps on the Maxx.
The copies files were now visible on the Maxx and my apps. The question remains are these really on the SD Card or on the phone itself. If on the phone itself, this all makes sense. If on the SD Card, the markers may help me find where it's burying them. I HOPE these weren't just copied to the memory, since that now means I'm never seeing my extended storage and that's a problem. I'll have to monitor space usage and see where things are being saved. Even if directories are hidden or buried, one big video file saved should show up in the available/used memory.

I just don't understand why moving from one Motorola phone to another, even with the OS upgrade, should excuse them not lookiing for existing directories when I upgrade. That's just lazy.

darus77

Reaction score
Maybe I should clarify. On my Razr, and as it should be with the Maxx as well, with or without the MicroSDHC installed there is a folder called "SDCard". This is the permanent on-board storage. When a physical card is installed into the phone, the newly-installed card is referred to as "SDCard-ext". I have found, however, some apps do not see this external card at all because of the different name.

OP
A

alann9

Reaction score
When I did the same thing on my OG Razr, an additional item appeared, "sdcard-ext". If you are looking at "sdcard", you are most likely working with the phone's internal storage.
You may be right. That would explain the evidence. But it would also suck. I'll have to chase this down, maybe with a big fat download, as I suggested above, to see if that's the case. Why Google/Verizon would label storage so misleadingly, if that is the case, is an excellent question. More extreme laziness? So that they can spoof the OS and save some recoding required to access the external card? Who knows? I'll check it out and get back.

Thank you guys for taking the time to respond.

OP
A

alann9

Reaction score
Maybe I should clarify. On my Razr, and as it should be with the Maxx as well, with or without the MicroSDHC installed there is a folder called "SDCard". This is the permanent on-board storage. When a physical card is installed into the phone, the newly-installed card is referred to as "SDCard-ext". I have found, however, some apps do not see this external card at all because of the different name.
Well, ok, but, apparently, those apps that do not see the external card include ES File and Astro, the two top file managers in the Android market. Do you know of one that does see the SDCard-ext? I'd love to check it out.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
So just do it manually. Like I suggested before, go into files on the d1, my files on the razr.. it will allow you to see and manipulate all of your files, either from the internal storage or the SD card ext.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
A

alann9

Reaction score
So just do it manually. Like I suggested before, go into files on the d1, my files on the razr.. it will allow you to see and manipulate all of your files, either from the internal storage or the SD card ext. ...
Aha! Ok, so I didn't even know about MyFiles. Yep, all the allegedly SD stuff on the Razr Maxx is actually on the phone memory card. The problem is that, on the Droid 1, 3rd-party apps like SMS Backup & Restore used another 3rd-party app like ES File to browse and map the selected folder and now they can't see the external SD Card at all. They can't use MyFile, they don't see it. So I can now find my files, but I can't use the external storage -- what am I missing? Just moving all the files over manually is really an exercise in futility if I'm going to have to be doing that forever and 3rd-party apps won't even see them, anyway. This should be transparent.

I'll try Total Commander and see if that works. Thanks again.