How Can I Send An MP3 File To A Friend?

OP
P

phaze3131

Reaction score
just email it to him/her and let them figure out how to get it on their phone.

HM, I clearly know how to email, not sure if you knew that or not.

I'm trying to figure out how to do something very basic I could do with other phones. It's Droid Does not Droid Can't so just figure out another way.

My friend has no idea how to transfer anything to her phone or use email on her phone but she does know how to buy and make peoples ringtones their ringer when they call.

I guess thanks for the help, but no thanks?

What Jethro said is the trick (it's what I do) - using Handcent.

I know the following has been beaten to death, but bare with us :)

Inside a Handcent thread / conversation, I click
1) Menu (droid button on phone)
2) Attach
3) Audio
4) A window will pop-up with 2 options: Android System , Select Music
5) Choose Select Music
6) You should now be given 2 more options (at least I am).. System ringtone , Music
7) Choose Music
8) Now you should be staring at all your music, just select the one you want

How far on the above steps do you get?

Step 6 is wrong, there are no 2 options. It goes directly to a screen that lets you pick system ringtones and that's it.

Rooted BB1.0 Latest Handscent updated today

nerdbox08

Reaction score
just email it to him/her and let them figure out how to get it on their phone.

HM, I clearly know how to email, not sure if you knew that or not.

I'm trying to figure out how to do something very basic I could do with other phones. It's Droid Does not Droid Can't so just figure out another way.

My friend has no idea how to transfer anything to her phone or use email on her phone but she does know how to buy and make peoples ringtones their ringer when they call.

I guess thanks for the help, but no thanks?

What Jethro said is the trick (it's what I do) - using Handcent.

I know the following has been beaten to death, but bare with us :)

Inside a Handcent thread / conversation, I click
1) Menu (droid button on phone)
2) Attach
3) Audio
4) A window will pop-up with 2 options: Android System , Select Music
5) Choose Select Music
6) You should now be given 2 more options (at least I am).. System ringtone , Music
7) Choose Music
8) Now you should be staring at all your music, just select the one you want

How far on the above steps do you get?

Step 6 is wrong, there are no 2 options. It goes directly to a screen that lets you pick system ringtones and that's it.

Rooted BB1.0 Latest Handscent updated today

He asked you how far you get through those steps, just because YOU can't see it, doesn't make it wrong.

Now, that being said, handcent does give this functionality, why you aren't able to get to work is the problem we are having at this point, considering everyone else can use it the same way.

Yes, this is a common problem with this phone AND Android in general. It was designed poorly and needs to be fixed so that a basic function can be used on such a smart phone.

BB v1.0, is that 2.1 or 2.0.1 based? If I remember correctly the option they are talking about is 2.1 based, so if BB v1.0 is 2.0.1 based, your out of luck.

The email trick is what many people have used in the past to get ringtones off their phone and to other people. If you friend is a VZW customer, you can email them the ringtone, but it comes through as a text for them.

[email protected] (Replace the XXXXXXXXXX with phone number and it's best to use the area code too).

If all these options don't work, we can keep plugging at it.

techRob

Reaction score
Haha ... for what it's worth, at least we figured out how far along Phaze got (even if his reply wasn't exactly in the right wording) ;) No worries ...i can see where my question / procedure was a little redundant / frustrating :)

Phaze - try this (either using Astro or another file manager utility)
1) On your SDCard, create a folder called ringtones (maybe even place it inside another folder called media .. so sdcard\media\ringtones ).
2) Locate and copy the mp3 you wish to send
3) Paste the mp3 into the newly created ringtones folder.
4) Try sending the audio again via Handcent - the audio file in question should be in the list you typically see :)

* You can, of course, do the above using your computer too by first mounting the usb connection, and once your done copying the file, unmounting.

Pointyhat

Reaction score
I just figured out another way, I couldn't download Handcent for some reason. It's kind of a back and forth thing but it worked. I downloaded a ringtone on Mabilo > share, then emailed to myself. Then I texted it back to my phone, then forwarded it on.

OP
P

phaze3131

Reaction score
I just figured out another way, I couldn't download Handcent for some reason. It's kind of a back and forth thing but it worked. I downloaded a ringtone on Mabilo > share, then emailed to myself. Then I texted it back to my phone, then forwarded it on.

downloaded it on your pc?

xosuitehearts

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am trying to figure out how to send an audio mp3 file to someone. I go to attach and click audio but it only allows me to send like things that came with the phone.

Thanks much.

Go on the Android Market look for "Hoccer"

Then get your friend to download it and have fun transferring.

nooter99

Reaction score
I have a question. On my stock Droid using the stock messaging app, when I hit menu, then attach, I only get these options:
Pictures
Capture picture
Videos
Capture video
Record audio
Slideshow

Why do I not see Music?

OP
P

phaze3131

Reaction score
Haha ... for what it's worth, at least we figured out how far along Phaze got (even if his reply wasn't exactly in the right wording) ;) No worries ...i can see where my question / procedure was a little redundant / frustrating :)

1) On your SDCard, create a folder called ringtones (maybe even place it inside another folder called media .. so sdcard\media\ringtones ).
4) Try sending the audio again via Handcent - the audio file in question should be in the list you typically see :)

* You can, of course, do the above using your computer too by first mounting the usb connection, and once your done copying the file, unmounting.

Ok so I wanted to wait to do all this till I loaded a new rom. Now I have BB froyo 4th version just came out other day. Loaded handscent and still same thing, no choice box or anything just goes right to default ringtones.

I did the above using root explorer and it does not work and its not in the list :(

I am so lost how everyone but me gets this fabled "choice" of music or ringtones...

thanks for help :(

Briankbl

Reaction score

Ok so I wanted to wait to do all this till I loaded a new rom. Now I have BB froyo 4th version just came out other day. Loaded handscent and still same thing, no choice box or anything just goes right to default ringtones.

I did the above using root explorer and it does not work and its not in the list :(

I am so lost how everyone but me gets this fabled "choice" of music or ringtones...

thanks for help :(

Okay, from all that I have gathered, you HAVE to have set a default within Handscent, that is the only explanation I see. Try this: (I know you said that you have done this earlier, but give it another go doing exactly the steps provided)

1) Press the menu button.
2) 'Settings'
3) 'Applications'
4) 'Manage Applications'
5) 'Handscent SMS'
6) 'Clear Defaults'
a. If given the option, also 'Clear Cache'

This should give you the Music option back.

IF for some reason this doesn't work, just uninstall Handscent and reinstall. Hope this helps.

mitchell1188

Reaction score
I have a droid x and downloaded handcent and im getting all the right menus....until I click on my song and press send then it says the file is too large and cannot be sent. =\

droidphone23

Reaction score
what if u just have record audio??? But I may not able to because I have the droid motarola so if u could help me that would be great!!! dancedroid