Hiking GPS App?

mrdroid

Reaction score
Is there a good GPS app for hiking? I'm a nature/wildlife photographer and I'd like to be able to save locations and trails and share them with other photographers as well as get myself back to those locations.

Thanks.

naccout

Reaction score
Have you looked at MyTracks? It's pretty outstanding but doesn't show topographical features.

N4UPD

Reaction score
Trimble outdoors is one I heard about but it is a bit pricey.

OP
mrdroid

mrdroid

Reaction score
Hmm... I was aware of MyTracks but didn't really think it would work for this purpose. I'll give it a shot though.

The only App I've found so far that looks specifically geared towards this purpose is OruxMaps. I obviously haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

OP
mrdroid

mrdroid

Reaction score
I saw Backpacker GPS Trails by Trimble Outdoors but some of the reviews were pretty poor and a couple reviews pointed me toward Orux. I didn't realize there were two more apps by the same company, one actually called Trimble Outdoors and one called AllSport GPS. I'll probably install this weekend while I'm actually hiking so I can uninstall and refund if it isn't worth the price.

Riveyman

Reaction score
My Tracks ! I've used it a couple times. Once for a bike ride and once when I took a walk around the neighborhood. Worked pretty good.
Way points and the like. Can upload the data to google maps as well. Save as GPX or KML. And it's free

CJGHiker

Reaction score