hidden Verizon charges

vitomins

Reaction score
she wasnt real clear about international charges but she made it sound like there wouldnt be any fee for data outside the US

Well as you can see from my bill, there is definitely data charges outside the US...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I had this question too. This is the second thread that I've seen someone say they spoke with VZW and were told that there's no data roaming involved. The other poster had a copy of an e-mail that they received.

I was worried about this too, because while using navigation, I got the notification that data roaming was disabled and the warning that turning it on might cause me to incur additional fees, so I left it off, but the nav can't retrieve fresh data and/or reroute when that's enabled and you're "roaming," so I guess I won't worry about it now unless I get a bill after taking a roadtrip...

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
that because you were out of the usa silly lol

Well the kid asked about any kind of roaming...it is pretty hard to enter roaming while you are in the US...Verizon is everywhere.

I apologize for wasting space if everyone already knew this...
If you are close to the border, you can incur roaming data charges. I regularly am in Buffalo, Grand Island, and Niagara Falls (NY), and have gotten popped with "International Roaming" charges. Granted mine were under $1, but I can see it happening.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.vzw.com/international - it will tell you what the roaming rates are and if there are data available in those countries. You can data roam anywhere in the U.S. if available, whether 3G or 1X. The slower roaming the rep was referring to was the 1X data. Outside of the U.S. be prepared for roaming charges.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If you are close to the border, you can incur roaming data charges. I regularly am in Buffalo, Grand Island, and Niagara Falls (NY), and have gotten popped with "International Roaming" charges. Granted mine were under $1, but I can see it happening.

Good to know...I'm up by the Great Lakes (Lake Michigan to be exact)!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

When I was a VZW rep, occasionally I would get a call from someone in the U.P. near Sault Ste. Marie or another area was around Detroit - and I would credit data or voice calls since it's possible propagation had you roaming into Canada.

OP
wyzzerdd

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
Is there a gps app that doesnt rely on data?

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score

When I was a VZW rep, occasionally I would get a call from someone in the U.P. near Sault Ste. Marie or another area was around Detroit - and I would credit data or voice calls since it's possible propagation had you roaming into Canada.
Funniest part about my situation, is running up the QEW towards Hamilton, I have solid VZW coverage for 30+ miles, before I start roaming. Now, when I have to go up north, I just set my phone in airplane mode before I get to the border.

OP
wyzzerdd

wyzzerdd

Reaction score

Sorry for such a late reply, here a link to VZW roaming International Roaming

butch350

Reaction score
Are there any hidden charges like using data whyle roaming? Or shouls l keep set to no roaning for data.
Are there anything else i should be aware of?

Roaming charges billed by verizon could be enough to buy someone a
small house if your not careful when roaming.

I'm not an expert on this so I'll let someone else chime in on the matter.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Is there a gps app that doesnt rely on data?

Sure, It's called a Tom-Tom....lol

There are apps that allow you to cache maps for offline use.

grammerpolice

Reaction score
Within the United States you won't see any roaming charges, unless you are super close to a Canadian/Mexican border and your phone pings off of a foreign tower. Even if your phone says roaming, it's simply a notification, not a charge (unless, like I said, you are extremely close to an international border). :)