Help swapping D1-D2

HOTHEAD

Reaction score
New to D2 forum, have been on the D1 forum and found it to be a great help in the past.

OK, bought the wife a D2 for Christmas, and Verizon gave me the buy 1 D2 get 1 free. I currently have a D1 and was wondering what the easiest way to swap my phones. I realize that Google will move my contacts, but how about my apps? I dont think all my apps are stored on SD, so what do I need to know about this? Also my D1 is rooted (a friend did it for me) but there are apps that I use all the time like wireless tether, what do I do about that? It's going to suck having to move all my desktop icons, widgets, set up screens, set up a few email accounts again, and link FB. and I'm not really that "techy". Man what a PITA.

Any help that will make this less painful would be greatly appreciated. Also need to move Astro, titanium pro, Set CPU, and Rom manager.

Lastly, the wife is moving from the env3 to the D2, any way to move her contacts without going into the store?

As always, thank you in advance
Regards
HOTHEAD

solar

Reaction score
I ended up just going fresh from my D1 to my D2 t oavoid "cross contamination", or any leftover issues from my D1 or odd compatibility issues.

I supposed if you are rooted, you could use recovery programs to take an image of your D1, then rot your D2 and install that image over it. Though that would remove any of the software or Blur inhancments/crappiness because you would be using a different image. I'm not sure how this would work out for you. I wold go to the hacks area if you are interested in doing it this way.

If you are going to go the "clean" way, Google takes care of your contacts and calendar items and any apps that you purchased from the market will be available for download again from the market under the "download" area. Some free apps that were installed "get lost", so make a list of you're installed apps, or take screenshots since you're rooted. some apps have a built in backup for their data, but most don't. so you will lose alll your configurations and data for those not supporting it. I use MyBackup Pro which will help automate the re-installation of apps.

I don't have the exact steps in front of me, but for an Env3 you can use verizons backup assistant (you have to download it from their crappy apps market area). The D2 has backup assistant on it too, so you should be able to use it to restore on the D2.

The.Dark.God

Reaction score
When I switched from the D1 to my R2D2, most of my apps started automatically downloading. Some did not, and I had to manually install them. Really, that part of the process was pretty simple, but it took several hours to complete because my phone was loaded with apps. I compiled a list of all my installed apps before I did the switch, just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

The biggest thing for me has been running into issues between what I was used to with the stock D1 apps and the D2's "Motorola-ized" apps. Several steps back in functionality in a few places, but thanks to the increased app space on the phone I've been able to fix most things by installing new market apps. The new integrated Messaging/social network system and unsortable contacts are the things that are hardest to deal with.

Oh, and don't forget to swap the 8 GB SD card out of your D2 and take the 16 GB from the D1... makes it that much sweeter to upgrade, and if the person who ends up using the D1 isn't much of a tech-head they won't miss it haha.

Taegost

Reaction score
I ended up just going fresh from my D1 to my D2 t oavoid "cross contamination", or any leftover issues from my D1 or odd compatibility issues.

I supposed if you are rooted, you could use recovery programs to take an image of your D1, then rot your D2 and install that image over it. Though that would remove any of the software or Blur inhancments/crappiness because you would be using a different image. I'm not sure how this would work out for you. I wold go to the hacks area if you are interested in doing it this way.

If you are going to go the "clean" way, Google takes care of your contacts and calendar items and any apps that you purchased from the market will be available for download again from the market under the "download" area. Some free apps that were installed "get lost", so make a list of you're installed apps, or take screenshots since you're rooted. some apps have a built in backup for their data, but most don't. so you will lose alll your configurations and data for those not supporting it. I use MyBackup Pro which will help automate the re-installation of apps.

I don't have the exact steps in front of me, but for an Env3 you can use verizons backup assistant (you have to download it from their crappy apps market area). The D2 has backup assistant on it too, so you should be able to use it to restore on the D2.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Dear God, no! Don't do that! Even if it works, you'll FUBAR your phone!
To the OP: If you're rooted, you can use Titanium Backup to back up your apps, HOWEVER, as I learned the hard way, you need to keep a few things in mind when you restore:

1) Do NOT restore any system apps or data, period. If you do, at best you'll bork the SQL database, which is what happened to me
2) After you restore ONLY your downloaded apps and data, check each program, several of mine (especially ones that link to my contacts) had some of the data a little off, but nothing serious
3) Restoring the wifi/bluetooth connections from Simply Stunning 4.7 on my D1 to my D2 doesn't *appear* to have any detrimental effects, but that's all I restored system-wise

If you're not rooted, and don't mind losing your data, then just use the market to re-download the apps like on a D1.
I believe MyBackupPro can back up apps and data for non-rooted phones, and may be a good alternative for you. I don't have any experience with it, especially cross-platform like this, but I've heard really good things about it.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
The above replies have me a bit confused. I had my gmail account tied in with my D1. All I did was turn the D1 off, turn on my new D2, followed the steps to activate it, signed into my gmail account, and voila, all my apps were installed, all contacts, even the same picture that I used as wallpaper. Sure, I lost some notes in "Color Notes", but the app is there. Ringtones didn't transfer but Ringdroid did. It was a painless transfer.

solar

Reaction score
The above replies have me a bit confused. I had my gmail account tied in with my D1. All I did was turn the D1 off, turn on my new D2, followed the steps to activate it, signed into my gmail account, and voila, all my apps were installed, all contacts, even the same picture that I used as wallpaper. Sure, I lost some notes in "Color Notes", but the app is there. Ringtones didn't transfer but Ringdroid did. It was a painless transfer.

It depends on the program. Yeah the gmail stuff will come right back because you are setting your phone up with your google account. Same with contacts, calendar, anything synced with a google app.

3rd party apps vary greatly. the programs will indeed download for you (most of the time), some however, will not. beyond that, most, unless backed up, will loose the data contained within. Pics will stay more then likely beccause you are using the same SD card.

solar

Reaction score

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Dear God, no! Don't do that! Even if it works, you'll FUBAR your phone!
To the OP: If you're rooted, you can use Titanium Backup to back up your apps, HOWEVER, as I learned the hard way, you need to keep a few things in mind when you restore:

1) Do NOT restore any system apps or data, period. If you do, at best you'll bork the SQL database, which is what happened to me
2) After you restore ONLY your downloaded apps and data, check each program, several of mine (especially ones that link to my contacts) had some of the data a little off, but nothing serious
3) Restoring the wifi/bluetooth connections from Simply Stunning 4.7 on my D1 to my D2 doesn't *appear* to have any detrimental effects, but that's all I restored system-wise

If you're not rooted, and don't mind losing your data, then just use the market to re-download the apps like on a D1.
I believe MyBackupPro can back up apps and data for non-rooted phones, and may be a good alternative for you. I don't have any experience with it, especially cross-platform like this, but I've heard really good things about it.

Yeah, that why I told him to check with people that are more familiar with hack and imaging on an android phone, lol. with computers this would also screw up your PC unless you used something like a bare metal imaging program that is hardware independant. I wasn't sure if there was such a thing for the phones yet. Pulling a strait image and tying to place it over another hardware without any special software is indeed a good way to fubar your phone! :)

My Backup pro will reinstall all of your apps automatically, but again, with the caviat of not necessarily backing up the dta containted within. It does support that feature if you are a rooted user. However, since you are not using the same hardware, I wouldn't use those extra features. The standard will do just fine if you are looking for an auto program install and some data backup.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
well, first thing I did when I went from D1 to D2 is took out my 8GB memory card from the D2, and swapped it out for the 16GB memory card from the D1.

I didn't realize there was a difference and I was doing it simply for the pictures and music I had on my D1 memory card. It was only then did I realize the D2 has a smaller memory card.

Can't help you on the rest. My contacts switched over when I signed in my gmail account, but beyond that, I had to resetup everything.