Having some trouble with my Galaxy S4

OP
C

chugs

Reaction score
Possible progress. I noticed that even after a night of dumping pics and videos I only had 2 gig available on my SD card. Before that I had like 477mb.

I went into a backup app I used called "My backup pro" because I was contemplating the FDR. I noticed that I'd been backing up data and apps to my SD card. I deleted several saved backups and only kept the most current then I took the phone to basic level function. By this I just mean that I killed all location detection and weather apps etc.

After this, my SD card showed 12.5 gig available. I pulled the battery and (fingers crossed) phone seems to be performing more like it used to in terms of speed and flow.

We'll see what the rest of the day brings. I would love it if my phone was essentially constipated and the update just pushed it over the edge. We'll see, may just be wishful thinking at this point.

OP
C

chugs

Reaction score
Spoke too soon, however it's performing much better and not restarting nearly as often. Seems like that would mean it can be fixed but maybe not.

OP
C

chugs

Reaction score
New phone arriving next week. After messing with it for many hours and trying everything including an FDR, the only option is a new phone.

Not sure what happened because of that update but it took the phone down.

bbtkd

Reaction score
New phone arriving next week. After messing with it for many hours and trying everything including an FDR, the only option is a new phone.

Not sure what happened because of that update but it took the phone down.

Probably was not the update itself since so many others such as myself had no issue. Could have been a hardware issue aggravated by the update, perhaps using a bad memory region not previously touched. After the FDR, did you reload all of your apps before the problem recurred? Probably, since it does it automatically. If you get the new phone and the issues recur after your apps are loaded, then it's not the update, it's an app. If it doesn't do it, then probably a bad memory region.

OP
C

chugs

Reaction score
Probably was not the update itself since so many others such as myself had no issue. Could have been a hardware issue aggravated by the update, perhaps using a bad memory region not previously touched. After the FDR, did you reload all of your apps before the problem recurred? Probably, since it does it automatically. If you get the new phone and the issues recur after your apps are loaded, then it's not the update, it's an app. If it doesn't do it, then probably a bad memory region.

It actually whacked out after the FDR and before I put the SD card back in. Once the SD card was back in and I loaded my stuff via My Backup Pro, things got worse than ever. With that in mind, I'm starting fresh with my new phone. I'll load contacts and the few photos I saved right away but I'm off loading apps one at a time. That was if there is a culprit, I can catch it.

Thanks all for input.

pookie

Reaction score
I also had a perfectly good GS4 from Verizon. Worked great until the update Monday morning. Then it would randomly lock up and reboot 3-4 times a day. I went thru all my apps, restarted, pulled battery multiple times, no help. On Thursday I figured I would do a FDR because I know that's the first thing they would tell me to do even though a FDR has never solved a device issue that I have ever had. Anyway, right after the FDR while setting up my phone, it locked up. While loading apps, it locked up then rebooted. It was worse than before. So I called tech support, told them everything I did and they sent me a new phone. Only problem is they sent me the Note 2. My gf has the note 2 and happened to have a spare battery but I still need a back cover, have it in an otterbox right now with no back cover. Debating if I should keep the Note2 or call monday and let them know what they did.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I also had a perfectly good GS4 from Verizon. Worked great until the update Monday morning. Then it would randomly lock up and reboot 3-4 times a day. I went thru all my apps, restarted, pulled battery multiple times, no help. On Thursday I figured I would do a FDR because I know that's the first thing they would tell me to do even though a FDR has never solved a device issue that I have ever had. Anyway, right after the FDR while setting up my phone, it locked up. While loading apps, it locked up then rebooted. It was worse than before. So I called tech support, told them everything I did and they sent me a new phone. Only problem is they sent me the Note 2. My gf has the note 2 and happened to have a spare battery but I still need a back cover, have it in an otterbox right now with no back cover. Debating if I should keep the Note2 or call monday and let them know what they did.

I'd send it back and try to get the Note III, but failing that the S4 you should have gotten.