Gummy Rom May Be Dead After October 12th

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is stock updated to 4.4.4? No, and you're missing features.
Can you install an ad blocker on stock? No, and again, missing features.

I can assure you that my phone with Mahdi, or any other AOSP ROM, will remain cooler, while doing more. I can guarantee it! I've tried stock, and it's full of garbage that you CANNOT remove.

As someone else mentioned, the gap is smaller, but there is still a pretty big advantage using AOSP.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

Where are you getting ads?

I don't know if the G2 has 4.4.4 but my GS5 does.

What i found is that there is always a trade off. If you want marginally faster performance, you use the ROM. But for months there was the Lock screen of death issue. The "knock-on/off" feature didn't work, camera issues...

When basic functions of the phone don't work, or need clunky workarounds that "sorta" work, it simply isn't worth the 5% perceived performance improvement.

And the reality is that you don't know how much faster it is than stock, unless you disabled all the bloat(which is easy) and tried alternate launchers with the animations turned off, transitions set to the minimum, etc...

Most of the real world performance improvements with a custom ROM, stem from the launcher that the ROM comes with.

And a lot of it comes from placebo, or from simply doing a clean install. Windows(any version) is always faster when you do a clean install, but after 6 months you notice it slowing down. With ROM's, you are updating, what once a week? Nightlies? Most people clear cache and dalvik when they install a ROM or even a nightly, just to make sure that it is "clean"...

That alone, will make the phone seem faster. Take your stock phone and do a factory reset 3 times a week, and I guarantee you will see a performance improvement. LOL

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
This argument makes reminds me of 15 years ago when overclocking PC's was still relatively new, and guys spent days on end tweaking the OS and using exotic cooling methods in order to get a slightly higher benchmark score... under the false impression that the score had any relevance... If your PC isn't stable for more than 10 minutes, and you have to have an army of cooling fans and crap and your OS is so stripped down that half the crap doesn't work, what difference does the score mean? Nothing.

But to each their own I guess...

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To be fair, there are a ton of "basic functions" that don't work on stock. Though knock on is not a basic function (not on every device), it still doesn't work consistently and GPS is still terrible.

on the move..

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[Part 2]LG G2 AOSP vs Stock|side by side speed|:
Not the greatest video, but it's pretty obvious most all functions of the phone load faster on AOSP.

on the move..

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not the greatest video, but it's pretty obvious most all functions of the phone load faster on AOSP.

on the move..
AOSP smashes stock on the G2. I don't have an S5, so I can't comment, but on my previous devices, AOSP was still faster.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree, not the best video to use as a comparison, but from my past experience with the original Galaxy (Fascinate) and my S3, AOSP was always faster than both stock, as well as rooted TW based roms. While both sides of this discussion make some valid points, the speed of today's smartphones simply doesn't make this as big of an issue. In real world everyday use, how often do we need that fraction of a second? And it IS just a fraction of a second, so (imo) it isn't really relevant.
Great discussion regardless!

S5 tap'n

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree, not the best video to use as a comparison, but from my past experience with the original Galaxy (Fascinate) and my S3, AOSP was always faster than both stock, as well as rooted TW based roms. While both sides of this discussion make some valid points, the speed of today's smartphones simply doesn't make this as big of an issue. In real world everyday use, how often do we need that fraction of a second? And it IS just a fraction of a second, so (imo) it isn't really relevant.
Great discussion regardless!

S5 tap'n

Precisely. In the video, the difference was a fraction of a second, at best. Was the LG G2 using the launcher? What were the transition and animation settings set to in the Developer menu?

Was one running Dalvik while the other was running ART?

It isn't an apples to apples comparison, and even then, the difference is negligible... I would be willing to bet $50, that if you took that video and did one the same way, but with the LG running the same launcher, with the same Transition and Animation settings, that even with slo-mo, you would have a really hard time seeing a difference.

There are tweaks and optimizations built into ROMs for sure, but I think that the reality is that most of the "performance improvements" that we can actually see and feel, come from the launcher and Dev options, not from anything specific to the ROM itself.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The launcher has nothing to do with load times, just responsiveness. Yes it cuts down on lag, but I saw no change in load times, the time it takes for an app to completely load, by switching launchers. And again, animation control doesn't increase load times, just the launching of the apps. But this conversation has run its course and we're now clogging a thread with a pretty pointless debate. As you said, to each their own.

on the move..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Agreed, it's really a matter of preference these days as most new devices don't benefit a whole heckuva lot from root the way they did back in the day. I really only rooted my current device for AdFree & Titanium backup.
As for kejar: a great developer who produced some amazing work. His roms will be missed for sure. We can only hope he'll be back with a new Rom for the latest flagship devices.

S5 tap'n

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
The launcher has nothing to do with load times, just responsiveness. Yes it cuts down on lag, but I saw no change in load times, the time it takes for an app to completely load, by switching launchers. And again, animation control doesn't increase load times, just the launching of the apps. But this conversation has run its course and we're now clogging a thread with a pretty pointless debate. As you said, to each their own.

on the move..

Was the G2 using Dalvik and the AOSP ROM using ART?