GPS problems with Root or SBF???

mattd860

Reaction score
I upgraded from fully stock 2.2 to OTA Gingerbread and hated it. So I SBF'd back to 2.2 (.340sbf) and then rooted and then installed the liberty 2.0 Rom.

GPS worked for a few days after installing liberty but then it stopped working. GPS would turn on but NONE of my apps that required gps would work. They all said "waiting for location". This includes nav apps and car dock apps that us the GPS.

I then SBF'd back to .340 sbf to fix the problem but it didn't fix it. I did clear all data/cache when sbf'ing. I've been on stock 340 for days now with no GPS. Phone/internet works fine otherwise.

Anyone else have this problem? Could it be a bad sbf file? I got the sbf file from the "DroidModderX" website which so far I've found very very helpful.

rmstorms

Reaction score
Hi was just searching for a solution to this problem. I have just recently rooted my Droid Charge and I can't get the GPS to work again at all. It was fine before rooting it, using odin to flash CWM, installing voodoo, installing peanutbutta kernel, then installing gummycharge 1.9.1. That's when I lost my gps. Then I went back to a rooted EE4 stock rom, checked gps and it still wasn't working. So I reinstalled gummcharge in hopes, but nothing. Then I saw gummycharge 2.0 came out, so I flashed it, again in hopes, but nothing. Right now, I'm on a "pre-rooted" and debloated stock rom of android v2.3.4, voodoo installed. I might put gummycharge v 2.0 back on just because I love the rom and if the GPS is dead, then it really doesn't make a difference. I love my GPS and want it back. Just seems like the phone sees the hardware, but doesn't understand how to communicate with it. Kind of like installing a new piece of hardware into a PC that isn't plug n' play and not installing the drivers. The computer recognizes the hardware sometimes, but doesn't know what to do with it, until you install the driver.

I've tries apps like, FixFaster, GPSFix, GPS Status and none of those act as though they see the GPS hardware, but can't communicate with it. So I just get a message saying "Waiting for GPS"... I'm stuck. I noticed that no one has posted a reply to you about this and am hoping you may have a solution by now... Any help is appreciated!

rmstorms

I upgraded from fully stock 2.2 to OTA Gingerbread and hated it. So I SBF'd back to 2.2 (.340sbf) and then rooted and then installed the liberty 2.0 Rom.

GPS worked for a few days after installing liberty but then it stopped working. GPS would turn on but NONE of my apps that required gps would work. They all said "waiting for location". This includes nav apps and car dock apps that us the GPS.

I then SBF'd back to .340 sbf to fix the problem but it didn't fix it. I did clear all data/cache when sbf'ing. I've been on stock 340 for days now with no GPS. Phone/internet works fine otherwise.

Anyone else have this problem? Could it be a bad sbf file? I got the sbf file from the "DroidModderX" website which so far I've found very very helpful.

OP
M

mattd860

Reaction score
I was never able to find a fix. I sbf'ed back to stock 2.2 Froyo at the time and it still didn't fix the GPS problem. I then brought the phone to verizon and they acknowledged it was probably a hardware problem so they replaced it with a warantee replacement.