GPS only determines location on wifi?

tu3218

Reaction score
My GPS worked fine when I first got the phone but now it seems to only lock in on my position if I'm on wifi. What's wrong?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

TBmike

Reaction score
Long story short, the GPS for Google Maps sucks on the Thunderbolt (for now). I have the issue that it takes literally about 3-5 minutes for the GPS to actually lock onto my position, and apparently it's a common enough issues that Verizon is aware of it (due to a large number of customer complaints). Long story short, it's not just your phone (although I'm guessing knowing that makes you feel about as much better about the situation as it did me), and they're supposedly working on a fix for it right now. Hopefully we'll get a OTA software update to fix this (and a number of other issues) soon.

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
I figured out a fix, or at least a temporary fix. Go into "more" on maps an then settings. Delete map cache. I did that an it got my location right away an I was able to use navigation.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

TBmike

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the tip. I've been poking around in the forums and found a few other people that have said after doing a hard reset (while being a pain in the butt) a lot of the issues they'd been experiencing, including the slow GPS, stopped.