No GPS OR Network Location

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Precursory device information: I'm running the CM7 build released on 6/15, baseband 1.16.00.0223r on my Thunderbolt. I just got it activated today on the Verizon network, there is no 4G available in my area, so I've switched the network mode to CDMA/EvDo auto.

My problem is that the phone will not find my location EITHER with the mobile network OR the GPS. My Droid would use wireless/cell networks to find my location if I had GPS off, but this Thunderbolt is not even doing that. I've found several people who have slow GPS lock with this CM7 build, but mine isn't even doing that. I have not been able to find anyone who can't even get location with the cell networks, though, so I'm lost.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening? It's a fresh install of the CM7 build with the correct radio.

OP
Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I just tried restoring the stock backup and getting GPS to lock there, but it wouldn't. I had heard this works for some people. Since it didn't work, I restored the backup of CM7. Now, GPS works, but it thinks I'm in Greece, and I have no idea how to calibrate it, etc. Help?

OP
Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Welp, I figure I'll update this now that it's fixed in case anyone else has the same issue.

I had bought the phone from someone, and they forgot to format the SD card, so there were several CWM backups. I picked another one, restored it, and turned on the location services and got it to lock onto the correct location. I left the GPS on (it was switched off when I restored), and restored my current custom ROM. For whatever reason, the GPS and location services now works in CM7. No explaination for why that worked, but it did.

jeslimak

Reaction score
Oh, my god. I'm not the only person in the world with this problem. I tried the ROM switching technique, and that fixed it temporarily. Unfortunately, when I needed the GPS again, today, the fix had... worn off? I had to drive five hours home basically blind... (The trip took two and a half hours on the way down.) I tried the ROM switch technique, but for some reason PlainJane would get stuck in boot.

I was running CM7 with baseband 1.16.00.0223r, but mine was new. I updated the radio and the ROM to the latest releases, but that fixed absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
OP
Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I had updated to the newest version yesterday - CM7 7.1.0 RC1, and the MR2.5 radio. It fixed everything. Then, I noticed the battery life had started sucking, so I tried out a different kernel. I'm not sure if it was the kernel switch that did it, but now it keeps saying it can't find my location again.

OP
Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I tried using the GPS Test app from the Market, and it locked onto my location during the testing. It seems to have poked both the GPS and cell tower location into working for now. Let's see if it sticks.