GPS Navigation + Screen timeout/ screen lock?

QQP

Reaction score
Is there a way to configure GPS Nav so that it'll auto disable the screen time out and screen lock, then reenable it when finished?

If I forget to disable them and start driving, it'll timeout and Nav stops working. (used Nav once and it stopped prompting me for turns once screenlock kicked in, haven't tried it again)

ninjabox

Reaction score
Do you have the vehicle mount. When I used my gps I had it in the mount and the screen stayed on the hole time.

OP
Q

QQP

Reaction score
Have the mount, but haven't used it yet.

Am looking for a base; thinking of either the sand bag or the cup holder. I don't like to attach stuff to the window.

ninjabox

Reaction score

Am looking for a base; thinking of either the sand bag or the cup holder. I don't like to attach stuff to the window.

I hear you, I hate that spot there after and also my window is a good distance away. My girlfiend uses the sandbag type mount for her garmin gps and she loves it. If you find a nice one let us know.

OP
Q

QQP

Reaction score
I have a sandbag for my Garmin, terrific, but can't reuse it for a suction cup mount.

Hesitant to get a sandbag because it puts the phone on the dash, and with a hot summer day, it'll cook the phone.

I'll post up what I end up with.

zilla

Reaction score

if you go to walmart you can get a vent mount one for 20 dollars it says GPS mount for Vent/ but my Moto Droid fits in there perfectly and i do not have any problems with the screen timeout. but the only drawback is that you have to use the car charger plugged into the phone as i think that the VZW one you plug the charger into the craddle not the phone but they, its out of your way to see and it is nice to have it on the dash esp when mine is right next to my side mirror on drivers sidde..

zilla

Reaction score
dancedroid

if you go to walmart you can get a vent mount one for 20 dollars it says GPS mount for Vent/ but my Moto Droid fits in there perfectly and i do not have any problems with the screen timeout. but the only drawback is that you have to use the car charger plugged into the phone as i think that the VZW one you plug the charger into the craddle not the phone but they, its out of your way to see and it is nice to have it on the dash esp when mine is right next to my side mirror on drivers sidde..

here is the link to the one i have it can be used either way and it also will hold your ipod/ GPS, and pretty much anything shaped like a square or rectangle. and can be mounted to vent or windshield, i have one in the wifes car and in mine and we have never had a problem with them and we have been using them for over a year, but the only drawback to a vent one is it restricts airflow out of that vent. but other than that i love it and i deal with it not that big of a deal when you consider how much more easier it is for you too view and use not to mention it is closer to your hands so less movement if you have to use the phone or GPS
hope this helps out a little bit..

Dakotadancedroid

OP
Q

QQP

Reaction score
Do you have the vehicle mount. When I used my gps I had it in the mount and the screen stayed on the hole time.

Was wondering, do you have your phone charging while in dock and have the setting to Stay Awake (disable screen timeout when charging)?

Daballer155

Reaction score

Was wondering, do you have your phone charging while in dock and have the setting to Stay Awake (disable screen timeout when charging)?

Where is this setting? Does having this option enabled get over ridden by apps like "Setting Profiles" and "JuiceDefender"?

liferefugee

Reaction score
Using the car dock app I have not had the nav app go to sleep on me yet. Have you tried that?

Typed with Swype on my Droid X and sent with Tapatalk.