GPS issue

OP
P

psychicdroid

Reaction score
Well having the update reloaded didn't help. It still has no clue where I am.

titos

Reaction score
Is anyone else having GPS issues with the rom. Everything I have seems to work including camera and YouTube but no GPS

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

titos

Reaction score
Forgot to mention I did a 340 spl and installed rom twice as it said the 1st time would give me a radio error. The second install went perfect

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Question?

Which build are you on, because Cyanogen for Droid X is up to build #13.

If you are still on the original release, download ROM Manager from the market and use the "Check for ROM updates" button to install the latest nightly. Also you can download the latest nightly build from the Cyanogen ROM website and install it manually.

You will have to run the camera fix patch again after installing each nightly release. Each nightly build is a complete build so you can skip straight to #13 without having to install 2-12 first. You should wipe just the Dalvik Cache between builds. I think you will also have to re-install the Gapps package as well.

C

cdexsw

you need to do the gps fix until the bugs are sorted out

gps/location fix

download file from link, using root explorer navigate to /system/lib/hw and rename this file: gps.shadow.so to gps.shadow.so.bak

next, using root explorer navigate to where you downloaded the file from above. COPY IT (as you may need it later if you update to another build) and navigate back to /system/lib/hw and paste the file.

while still in root explorer /system/lib/hw change the permissions of the file you just copied gps.shadow.so by press and holding the file until the menu appears. choose pemissions. set to rw-r--r--

reboot and enjoy.

stinger161

Reaction score
Question: does this gps location fix you link only work for cyanogen? Reason I'm asking is my gps has been not functioning for a while. I was running Darkslide 4.2, gps was working then I found recently I'm only getting a fix within 2000m of my location, and that was only if I had the cell signal selected. Just gps gives "location unavailable". Searched forums for a fix but nothing could fix it, gps status app, clear map cache, etc. I finally sbf'd back to froyo to do the gb upgrade and install Darkslide x, and thought the sbf would fix it but it's still the same. I checked it after the sbf and downloading maps. So I don't think it's rom related.

C

cdexsw

Question: does this gps location fix you link only work for cyanogen? Reason I'm asking is my gps has been not functioning for a while. I was running Darkslide 4.2, gps was working then I found recently I'm only getting a fix within 2000m of my location, and that was only if I had the cell signal selected. Just gps gives "location unavailable". Searched forums for a fix but nothing could fix it, gps status app, clear map cache, etc. I finally sbf'd back to froyo to do the gb upgrade and install Darkslide x, and thought the sbf would fix it but it's still the same. I checked it after the sbf and downloading maps. So I don't think it's rom related.

question 1 answer: the gps fix for cm7 (do not hold me to this) was pulled from a .596 rom....any .596 rom should work.

as far as stock froyo's gps/location and compass it was the issue of the framework. as far as i know there was no "true" fix or permanent solution.

as far as gps issues in other roms....you would have to research/post in those forums as i never tried those other roms. sorry.

titos

Reaction score
Fix worked perfect. Thank you

razorloves

Reaction score
gps has been fixed since nightly #3 and network location fixed since #7. I recommend you flash the latest nightlies to get those and other fixes.

C

cdexsw

gps has been fixed since nightly #3 and network location fixed since #7. I recommend you flash the latest nightlies to get those and other fixes.
some people were/are still having the location issue on builds 7+. i am on #9 and i had the location issue.

i like most others do not update to every build or every other build. why? unless they are a significant update why bother if your phone is rock'n stable.

i wait until there are at least 9 or 10 builds released pasted the one i have flashed or a major update before i get flash happy. i stopped at nine because after i applied the fixes and installed some apps i have no reason to update.....its 100% solid with great battery life and......i have zero issues.

just say'n.....

Last edited by a moderator:

stinger161

Reaction score
So theres no fix to get my gps dead on balls accurate (industry terminology) again? So if I'm in the field and I need to call in a danger close airstrike I'm out of luck?

C

cdexsw

So theres no fix to get my gps dead on balls accurate (industry terminology) again? So if I'm in the field and I need to call in a danger close airstrike I'm out of luck?

well, no.....not dead on the balls.

if you do find yourself needing to call in a "danger close" air strike i would recommend using "Differential Global Positioning System". it uses a network of fixed, ground-based reference stations to broadcast the difference between the positions indicated by the satellite systems and the known fixed positions.
These stations broadcast the difference between the measured satellite pseudoranges and actual (internally computed) pseudoranges, and receiver stations may correct their pseudoranges by the same amount. The correction signal is typically broadcast over UHF radio modem.

basically its as accurate as you can get.....but its controlled by the USCG Navigation Center, based in Alexandria, VA.

you can contact the Dept. of Homeland Security who currently overseas the program from 0930-1530/mon-thurs/eastern time for more information should you need a danger close airstrike.

stinger161

Reaction score
Thanks Rod I'll have to try Homeland then. Accuracy to 2100m isn't going to work. It used to show within 6. Now it's showing my position as being about 10 blocks away. Not good if I'm trying to use maps to get me to a Dunkin Donuts in an unfriendly city like Karkand should I find myself there.

snoop5

Reaction score
i agree my gps has sucked since ive been on gingerbread no matter what rom but on froyo it was great any of the chiefs wanna up out the indians on this issue.:icon_ banana: