got 'lucky' and got a droid

Wavefunction

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wavefunction

on July 9th while on vacation, I crashed my motorcycle going 75 (actually that was the speed limit) and broke my leg--and my crappy enV2, (important lesson, always wear gear, I would have definitely died if I wasn't wearing all of my protective gear)
If I told you the whole story about the circumstances surrounding me and my crash, I would seem way less cool so I'll leave it at that :).
jump ahead to: I got lucky on one thing, since I didn't pay for insurance on my phone through Verizon, I managed to get reimbursed from property insurance, and used it for an early upgrade on the droid 1 last Friday (I had been obsessing for SO long about this thing, it came just in time)
since my break was pretty bad (titanium plate and 7 screws put in my leg) I'm stuck at home for a while, and my whole summer is down the drain; this means I am probably going to completely obsess about android software and post like crazy (don't worry-I won't spam).
I have actually been reading the forums for a couple weeks, and following the droid news and such pretty faithfully-I preferred a droid 1 to anything else in the market right now, including the X and incredible. I've been impatiently awaiting Froyo for a couple of days now, and I am a little up in arms that Verizon won't give us tethering or hotspot natively, but I'm not sure that I want to root my phone.
now to top it off.
About me:
AGE: 16 (I get along better with adults more than people my own age though)
MODEL: Droid 1
ROOT?: probably not

This will forum will be good to have-- the only person I know in the physical world that has a droid doesn't even know how to take pictures on it.
thanks [hopefully] for the warm welcome [!/?]

alm0614

Reaction score
Definitely welcome, and luckily you are still here to be able to join us. Now, why are you so hesitant to root.. if you have free time and a very lil bit of tech knowledge, there are next to no negatives to rooting

OP
W

Wavefunction

Reaction score
Definitely welcome, and luckily you are still here to be able to join us. Now, why are you so hesitant to root.. if you have free time and a very lil bit of tech knowledge, there are next to no negatives to rooting

doesn't rooting create more instability? I've heard people complain about signal issues, crashes, and general slowing down of the phone?

ChugIt

Reaction score
if you have free time and a very lil bit of tech knowledge, there are next to no negatives to rooting

I know of ZERO negatives to rooting unless you hate having a faster phone that looks, feels and acts exactly how you want it. :)

alm0614

Reaction score

doesn't rooting create more instability? I've heard people complain about signal issues, crashes, and general slowing down of the phone?

the Droid 1 is the most root-friendly phone out there. there are more than 10 custom roms you can run (check the forum for each of their own threads) there is bound to be at least 1 that works perfectly with your phone. Personally, I have had great success using BuglessBeast... not only does everything work correctly, custom ROMs add MORE features to your phone..

huskur

Reaction score

No. You just need a good ROM. Check my signature for what i use!! The so called "ferrari" of roms. (my opinion) Stellar. No signal issues and phone flies!!!
The wifi tether is very very nice to!!!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rooting voids your warranty.

If you follow the instructions correctly on this forum, and make sure you back things up correctly, then you should be fine. Rooting itself doesn't cause any problems. Installing custom rom's and custom kernels (for wifi and overclocking) is where problems CAN occur. It's not seamless for everybody, and it CAN create instability, but typically if you follow instructions and take your time, you can work through any issues that might come up, and get your phone running how you want.

edit: you can "unroot", if you ever need to take advantage of your warranty

OP
W

Wavefunction

Reaction score
I intend to root someday for sure--I have jailbroken my iPod Touch (2nd gen) and didn't regret it-I told myself then that if it were a phone I wouldn't do it, because phone>ipod and I would regret the damages Of course, I didn't know as much than as I do now, I still am reading up everywhere about rooting, now that I know there are positives.
but I want to fully understand as many aspects of rooting as I can before I do that-I have insurance on my phone this time, and I want to play it safe for a little while at least.
I've had this phone for only 2.5 days, I haven't even gotten my ringtones set for individual contacts!
I would rather root with 2.2, once that's available than root to 2.2, and not get it officially (why I want it officially, I don't know...)
edit: just saw the above post's edit, that is good to know, which means I might do it sooner--still going to wait at least a week or two

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I intend to root someday for sure--I have jailbroken my iPod Touch (2nd gen) and didn't regret it-I told myself then that if it were a phone I wouldn't do it, because phone>ipod and I would regret the damages Of course, I didn't know as much than as I do now, I still am reading up everywhere about rooting, now that I know there are positives.
but I want to fully understand as many aspects of rooting as I can before I do that-I have insurance on my phone this time, and I want to play it safe for a little while at least.
I've had this phone for only 2.5 days, I haven't even gotten my ringtones set for individual contacts!
I would rather root with 2.2, once that's available than root to 2.2, and not get it officially (why I want it officially, I don't know...)
edit: just saw the above post's edit, that is good to know, which means I might do it sooner--still going to wait at least a week or two

I'd say you're already in the right mindset, so enjoy your Droid! It can do an awful lot, even without root. :)

alm0614

Reaction score
also FYI, there has not been one report of a droid that has been completely bricked yet.. the Rescue Squad here is great, and being open source, you can almost always revert back to a stock set up with a sbf