Google Voice - Pressing "4" Does Not Record Calls

mmcompute

Reaction score
According to Google, users of Google Voice should be able to record phone calls placed with Google Voice by simply pressing "4" to start then "4" again to stop. I can't seem to make this work on my phone. Does anyone have this feature working?

Thanks!

Droid_Junky

Reaction score
I just noticed the tip on the website yesterday. Haven't been able to try it out. It says you can only record calls that you receive. I will try it later today.

madpanic

Reaction score
isn't that feature only available if you take a google number?

Droids

Reaction score
Works for incoming calls placed to your GV number only. So someone calls your GV number and you answer it on your cell phone (or home phone) you can then press 4 to start/stop recording.

OP
M

mmcompute

Reaction score
But I do have a Google Voice number and I'm using the Google Voice app to make the calls. Google's website does not mention any problems using the record function. Neither incoming or outgoing calls can be recorded.

Just wondering if I'm doing it wrong.
I've tried pressing "4" with my index finger and my thumb. Neither works. :icon_eek:

OP
M

mmcompute

Reaction score
Works for incoming calls placed to your GV number only. So someone calls your GV number and you answer it on your cell phone (or home phone) you can then press 4 to start/stop recording.

Confirmed...it does work for incoming calls only and not for calls I place. Hmmm...wonder why that is?:)

Thanks for the help.

thistle

Reaction score

Confirmed...it does work for incoming calls only and not for calls I place. Hmmm...wonder why that is?:)

Thanks for the help.
I'm guessing it's to comply with two-party notification in some states in the US. If you could record outgoing calls, you could start the recording before the other party answered and they wouldn't be notified by the "call recording on" message.