Google Plans to Completely Remove Flash from Chrome in Stages Starting This Year; Ending in 2017

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
flash-dead.png

Google is ramping up their campaign to eliminate Flash. They figured out a way to strip him of his speed force powers, and have teamed up with Eobard Thawne to implement their dastardly plan... Seriously though, Google really is planning the death of the ancient, defunct and insecure animation platform originally created by Adobe. HTML5 is far superior and far more secure, so there's really no reason to hold on to the old technology. All Flash does is open up users to malware and other security vulnerabilities.

Google's master plan involves shutting down the use of the Flash plugin in Chrome later this year in most situations. To help with the transition, Google plans to allow the top 10 websites which use Flash to continue to use it temporarily. This "whitelist" will include the following web-based companies:
  1. YouTube.com
  2. Facebook.com
  3. Yahoo.com
  4. VK.com
  5. Live.com
  6. Yandex.ru
  7. OK.ru
  8. Twitch.tv
  9. Amazon.com
  10. Mail.ru
Apparently, Google's engineers are programming Chrome to activate the Flash plugin temporarily, when it sees Flash content from these 10 sources. Even though these companies will still be able to use Flash, even the time for this whitelist will run out soon. By the end of 2017, Google plans to completely remove Flash plugin functionality from Chrome altogether, regardless of whether any websites have removed Flash or not.

Source: Google Blog

kinfolk248

Reaction score
dumb question of the day alert.... Is getting rid of flash content the same as deleting flash player from your computer? If so, could one just delete it on there own and be done? I ask because every now and then if Im streaming something (F1 races) I'll get a shockwave (idk if thats the same thing) crash error...

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
dumb question of the day alert.... Is getting rid of flash content the same as deleting flash player from your computer? If so, could one just delete it on there own and be done? I ask because every now and then if Im streaming something (F1 races) I'll get a shockwave (idk if thats the same thing) crash error...
it isn't the same thing, flash will still continue to work in other browsers as long as they support it, it's google that's trying to force the internet to stop using flash. While I agree the reasons are valid there still isn't a viable alternative for some of the, albiet ancient, flash games (movies are easily converted into html5 I believe) that were so popular in the 00's

flash has a stupid amount of security vulnerabilities and there are alot of different companies who are attempting to kill it. HTML5 is safer and has much higher potential

Here's a decent writeup from wired

Google Is Taking a Big Step to Kill Off Flash for Good

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Now if only edge/Explorer stopped supporting it maybe that would force companies to upgrade from flash. But as far as I know, most businesses still use flash and Internet Explorer, at least in medical field where I work.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Yes for some reason IE is still huge, particularly in business/corporate and medical worlds... smh

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's a pretty sizeable thread over on the Google forums with many, myself included, not too pleased that you can't currently use HTML5 to run Play Music. This fix can't come soon enough. A number of users have switched to Spotify as it has both its own player that's easily downloaded and will run online via HTML5.

This has been long overdue.