Google Navigation Screen Rotation and GPS

LarryV

Reaction score
I only use GPS and screen rotation for one thing, Google Navigation.

If anyone has hints on how to get Google Navigation to do these two things, I would appreciate it:

1) Enable Screen Rotation - I hate the display option that automatically rotates the screen. I find it pretty useless except for Google Navigation. My Droid Pro sits nicely in my car's ash tray on its side. Does anyone have a tip on how to allow the screw to rotate only for specific programs like Google Navigation?

2) I would love for Google Navigation to enable GPS when it launches and shut it off when it closes. It warns that GPS is off but does not give an option to turn it on from that same warning. Ideally it would enable it at startup of Google Navigation and shut it off when you exit Google Navigation.

thanks all,

Larry

kjjb0204

Reaction score
No idea on your first question, but for your second question, I just leave gps on most of the time anyhow. It's only actually running when there's an app using it. I've also added a Power Control Plus power widget to my notification panel, so turning gps on or off is a quick flick and tap away. Not ideal for what you wanted, but the quickest way I can think of.

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
You could always download an auto rotate widget and just switch it on when you need it.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

OP
L

LarryV

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks for the suggestions.

About leaving GPS on all the time, I always thought that drained my battery faster than it already drains. I can barely get through 1pm without having to recharge. I have turned to going into airplane mode in the subway and only using GPS when I am using Google Navigation.

About screen rotation app, that sounds like it might help if I can easily get to it while Google Navigation is open - I will look up some apps that do this.

thanks,

Larry

kjjb0204

Reaction score
I've never noticed any measurable differences in battery life leaving gps on or off. As I've mentioned, it seems to only use battery when an app is actively using it. It's not like wifi, where even out of range it's still pinging around looking for networks.