Google Is Considering Letting Us Change The "OK Google" Hotword

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-home-mutemic-1500x1000-jpg.77491

Saying "OK Google" to activate your Google Home or Google Assistant can be a bit annoying especially when you have to activate it back to back. It would be nice to be able to change the hot word. It looks like Google is considering giving us that option. Rishi Chandra, VP of Google Home, revealed this consideration to The Verge. She didn't confirm this as being definite, but did say Google is looking closely at feedback to see if this is the right move and how to best implement it. They aren't sure if they will change the hotword to something easier or let users choose their own. For me I would probably just name my Google Home and then simply call out it's name when I need it. What would you change your hot word to?

via The Verge

Attachments

• google-home-mutemic-1500x1000.jpg
    google-home-mutemic-1500x1000.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 3,297

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
I'd choose some random name that nobody in my house would use by accident. Not sure why but Fido came to mind. Can't imagine anyone using that name in the future in my house. LOL

mikabl

Reaction score
Read a sci-fi book a while back (Old Mans War) they had embedded computers they could name. the main protagonist had "Hey A$$hole" for his.

Could you imagine walking down the street listening to all the crazy names people randomly call out?

duxdad

Reaction score
google-home-mutemic-1500x1000-jpg.77491

Saying "OK Google" to activate your Google Home or Google Assistant can be a bit annoying especially when you have to activate it back to back. It would be nice to be able to change the hot word. It looks like Google is considering giving us that option. Rishi Chandra, VP of Google Home, revealed this consideration to The Verge. She didn't confirm this as being definite, but did say Google is looking closely at feedback to see if this is the right move and how to best implement it. They aren't sure if they will change the hotword to something easier or let users choose their own. For me I would probably just name my Google Home and then simply call out it's name when I need it. What would you change your hot word to?

via The Verge

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Moto did this... I named my astra for a while... then computer... the computer one didn't work well.. kept going of when talking about my PC... I still felt like I was in star trek though

Rishi Chandra, VP of Google Home, revealed this consideration to The Verge. She didn't confirm this as being definite,

he not she right?

JDH

Reaction score
If Motorola can do it so should Google. I have been using Moto voice commands since the beginning and just recently had to turn it off so I could try the Google Assistant. Have not yet decided if I'll continue to use GA or go back to tried and true Moto voice commands.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm a fan of the ability to change it. During my short time with the Moto Z, it was nice to not have it activate on accident. Though, I did forget what I changed it to at one point...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk