Google Home vs Amazon Echo?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had an Echo since it was first released and have been really happy with it. What advantages / benefits do you think Google Home will have?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't own an Echo. Signed up for the early pre-sale Prime ordering, but then just never ordered one. My fault. My new Home should be here on November 8th. I will have to read up on all of the current Echo functions and then see what Home can do and try to come back and post my thoughts.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I just don't have a use case for either. My girlfriend's brother works for Amazon and their parents have an Echo. They always tell me they barely use it and it isn't that convenient. I messed around it and yeah...I could force myself to use it but I find a smartphone with OK Google way more convenient for me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Love the Echo Dot here, have another coming in a few weeks.
It's tied into my Stereo, lighting and TStat so far.
I was reluctant to get Amazon involved with the home at first, but it's cool...
Google, they're in my life enough, probably have my conversations sent to the feds already, don't need to pay them more and invite them to listen... ;)

Sent from my New Note 7

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Love the Echo Dot here, have another coming in a few weeks.
It's tied into my Stereo, lighting and TStat so far.
I was reluctant to get Amazon involved with the home at first, but it's cool...
Google, they're in my life enough, probably have my conversations sent to the feds already, don't need to pay them more and invite them to listen... ;)

Sent from my New Note 7
Once I get my Home next month, maybe we can compare functionality?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Definitely.
As I have the Chromecast that Google Home would work well too, but time will tell. My Echo Dot is completely wireless with my Charge 3 Bluetooth speakers, that's a big advantage too.

Sent from my New Note 7

DougDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting several Echo Dots for my workshop. I'd like to have them placed around the shop and upstairs so I can use them wherever I'm working. I like the idea of being able to change my music and get info while I have gloves on or if I'm working on something heavy that needs my full attention.

Any idea how far I should space my Dots? I have about 3,600 square feet on the main floor and about 600 square feet on the mezzanine. I'm thinking three would do? One for the bay, one in the fab shop and one upstairs?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm looking at getting several Echo Dots for my workshop. I'd like to have them placed around the shop and upstairs so I can use them wherever I'm working. I like the idea of being able to change my music and get info while I have gloves on or if I'm working on something heavy that needs my full attention.

Any idea how far I should space my Dots? I have about 3,600 square feet on the main floor and about 600 square feet on the mezzanine. I'm thinking three would do? One for the bay, one in the fab shop and one upstairs?

Good question, hopefully someone here has some good info to share. Not trying to be rude, but that question would probably be better in the dedicated Amazon Echo section, instead of turning this thread into an Echo only discussion. That way we can keep this one on topic and discuss the differences between the two devices. The Echo Dot thread is here:

Amazon Echo Dot

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That's a good question, I wonder if Google Home links like the Echo Dot does?
Doug there is information on the Amazon Echo Dot site for spacing, and adding more is cheap and easy to do.
I have one and can talk to it from 15-20 feet away, I'm adding one more for now to go into the living room and may get a third for the MBR if necessary.

Sent from my New Note 7

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's a good question, I wonder if Google Home links like the Echo Dot does?
Doug there is information on the Amazon Echo Dot site for spacing, and adding more is cheap and easy to do.
I have one and can talk to it from 15-20 feet away, I'm adding one more for now to go into the living room and may get a third for the MBR if necessary.

Sent from my New Note 7
Yeah. You can use multiple Google Home units and it's supposed to intelligently respond to you based on which one you're closer to if more than one can hear you. It's supposed to also take your phone into account, so you're not triggering OK Google on 4 devices at once. I saw something on that. Maybe in the keynote? I can't find a YT video with the diagram of a home like they showed there explaining how that would work.

Aside from that, I believe they also said you're supposed to be able to sync the music playing from them so you can have them in multiple rooms and all playing the same song in sync.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Now to wait for the Amazon/Google lawsuits...
Stolen tech etc...

Sent from my New Note 7

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yeah. You can use multiple Google Home units and it's supposed to intelligently respond to you based on which one you're closer to if more than one can hear you. It's supposed to also take your phone into account, so you're not triggering OK Google on 4 devices at once. I saw something on that. Maybe in the keynote? I can't find a YT video with the diagram of a home like they showed there explaining how that would work.

Aside from that, I believe they also said you're supposed to be able to sync the music playing from them so you can have them in multiple rooms and all playing the same song in sync.

I read the same thing Jonny. I don't want to have to buy multiple $149 Home units though. It does connect to Chromecast Audio though, so I might pick one of those up so I can link them and have the same music playing in multiple rooms at once. What I hope to see Google do eventually is one of 2 things (or both):

1.) Enable the Home to link to any compatible BT speaker for better stereo sound.

2.) Design and sell smaller units that connect to the Home (like the Echo Dots) so you can leave the Home in one room and put the smaller units in other rooms for stereo sound and voice commands.

I bet they will eventually.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I read the same thing Jonny. I don't want to have to buy multiple $149 Home units though. It does connect to Chromecast Audio though, so I might pick one of those up so I can link them and have the same music playing in multiple rooms at once. What I hope to see Google do eventually is one of 2 things (or both):

1.) Enable the Home to link to any compatible BT speaker for better stereo sound.

2.) Design and sell smaller units that connect to the Home (like the Echo Dots) so you can leave the Home in one room and put the smaller units in other rooms for stereo sound and voice commands.

I bet they will eventually.
If they want people to buy multiple units, the price is going to have to come down or they're gonna have to make companion units like the dot.

Just my opinion, but I haven't seen many people say they bought 3 or 4 echos like I have seen with the dots.

Sent from my Moto Z

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
If they want people to buy multiple units, the price is going to have to come down or they're gonna have to make companion units like the dot.

Just my opinion, but I haven't seen many people say they bought 3 or 4 echos like I have seen with the dots.

Sent from my Moto Z
At $49ea that's an inexpensive way to cover the home.

Sent from my New Note 7

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
At $49ea that's an inexpensive way to cover the home.

Sent from my New Note 7
Do they work together like Google home? Or as separate units tied to the same account?

I'm wondering if we'll see Home owners get a discount on Google Play Music, since amazon just launched a new streaming service that'll run Echo users $3.99/month...?

Sent from my Nexus 6P