Google gives new life to old tablets as kids devices

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Keep_an_eye_on_screentime_Families.width_527.0.png

Do you have an old tablet collecting dust somewhere because you just don't use it or you upgraded to something new? Google finally makes the Family Link App available to everyone now. No more invite only closed beta. With this app you can turn your tablet (or phone) into a kid friendly device that you can closely monitor: you can approve or block apps, set time limits, and perform remote locking at a set time. You can even see exactly how much time they spend in each app. Oddly, "messaging apps that run in the background" won't be tracked completely. So far this works with ALL Nougat devices and SOME MM devices. (The Verge article says some KK devices, but that's wrong).

Source: THE VERGE

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I knew there was a reason I'm holding on to my Nexus7 :D

Editted to add:

I do find it ironic that an article about using Family Link on old tablets shows an image with Duo, that as far as I can tell won't install on Wifi only tablets.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Right? Might have to dust off my old Transformer, although (and I think this is really why Google finally pushed this out) my kid probably won't want to give up his easy to use Kids Kindle. Google is getting thier butt kicked by Amazon in the "family / kid" space. I think this is their answer and probably a decent one, too, because let's be honest: there are a lot of Android tablets out there not being used.

Ha! LOL @ Duo comment. That pic is straight from Google, too.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Right? Might have to dust off my old Transformer, although (and I think this is really why Google finally pushed this out) my kid probably won't want to give up his easy to use Kids Kindle. Google is getting thier butt kicked by Amazon in the "family / kid" space. I think this is their answer and probably a decent one, too, because let's be honest: there are a lot of Android tablets out there not being used.

Ha! LOL @ Duo comment. That pic is straight from Google, too.

old and new