Good bye bionic

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
So, my work got me a Samsung galaxy S3, free of charge of course. I'm gonna finally get rid of this piece of junk 'flagship' Motorola phone. Constant 4G drops, quirky audio (digitized, volume sways). Gonna either put the bionic in my bench vice or take my 10lb sledge hammer to it, who knows maybe it'll work better after that. I'd like to say its been fun but it hasn't, what a disappointment this phone was.
Edited by moderator to ward off potential arguing.
Keep it civil please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Or you could just install ICS on it, and probably have a BETTER device as far as RF quality goes than the S3. Whatever, if you're really going to smash it, send it to me instead. I'd be happy to pay shipping.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I wouldn't say it would be better than the S3 at all. In fact, I laughed out loud to the suggestion that the Bionic will EVER have better radio frequency than any phone. Just as good perhaps, but definitely not better.

I'd say the Bionic was an amazingly kick ass phone except for data drops. If it didn't have those, I'd definitely still have mine. Shame your experience was so terrible otherwise...

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it would be better than the S3 at all. In fact, I laughed out loud to the suggestion that the Bionic will EVER have better radio frequency than any phone. Just as good perhaps, but definitely not better.

I'd say the Bionic was an amazingly kick ass phone except for data drops. If it didn't have those, I'd definitely still have mine. Shame your experience was so terrible otherwise...

Yep, and ICS eliminates the data drops. You can laugh all you want, the S3 has WEAK data compared to a Bionic running ICS.

Fonzz

Reaction score
I'll pay for shipping + 10 dollars.
PM me

Just_AGuy

Reaction score
So, my work got me a Samsung galaxy S3, free of charge of course. I'm gonna finally get rid of this piece of junk 'flagship' Motorola phone. Constant 4G drops, quirky audio (digitized, volume sways). Gonna either put the bionic in my bench vice or take my 10lb sledge hammer to it, who knows maybe it'll work better after that. I'd like to say its been fun but it hasn't, what a disappointment this phone was.
Edited by moderator to ward off potential arguing.
Keep it civil please.
Poor guy what ever will you do with that phone:biggrin:
Actually I was looking at than one myself.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Yep, and ICS eliminates the data drops. You can laugh all you want, the S3 has WEAK data compared to a Bionic running ICS.

Well considering I speak from experience, fairly extensive experience too, I think I'll laugh harder. And I'll just leave it at that. Hope the OP has a better experience with their next device.

nomadh

Reaction score
I know you want to get revenge but really take a shot at ICS. If I had a spare phone I'd do it in a second. Just for the experience. Mine is a work phone so I just am not allowed to hack it otherwise I'd love to do that.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well considering I speak from experience, fairly extensive experience too, I think I'll laugh harder. And I'll just leave it at that. Hope the OP has a better experience with their next device.

Well then, your towers work differently than my local towers. Which proves one thing. It's not the devices. It's Verizon's patchwork network. A Motorola Bionic sitting here at my desk on ICS will get full bars. A Samsung Galaxy S3 on Verizon will get 2 bars. I had the two devices sitting in front of me last week, and that was my experience.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well then, your towers work differently than my local towers. Which proves one thing. It's not the devices. It's Verizon's patchwork network. A Motorola Bionic sitting here at my desk on ICS will get full bars. A Samsung Galaxy S3 on Verizon will get 2 bars. I had the two devices sitting in front of me last week, and that was my experience.

The number of bars in a location is only important to alcoholics . When idle cdma and lte numbers can and often are a lot different than when you attempt to use it.
Take a look at your dBm numbers, they are your true signal strength.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Not just you. I was at a football game and someone pulled out an S3 and it had low signal while my bionic had full.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
In order to intentionally derail this a bit...

For years I've always heard/read that Motorola has the best radios, strongest signal, etc. etc. etc. Maybe this is just my historical ignorance coming through, but where did that idea come from?

If a software tweak can cause the Gnex to hold a 4G/LTE signal when I walk into a building at a similar level to the Razr Maxx, what makes Moto's "stronger"? I'm using the Gnex and Razr/Maxx as an example, b/c the Gnex has a class 3 radio which is actually capable of higher throughput than the Razr/Maxx's class 2 radio. I know that doesn't necessarily translate to "strength" and reliability, but I wonder sometimes if Moto's rep gets a little blown out of proportion.

I remember for the first 6 months of the Bionic's life, people "in the know" talking about how Moto reworked the Bionic's radio from scratch and how great it was. But tell that to all the Bionic owners.

I'm not saying there's no truth to it, but all I ever see/hear is hearsay, and I wonder sometimes if Samsung's "weak radio" and Moto's "strong radio" reputations are a bit overdone. But that's why I'm asking, so enlighten me! :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
IMHO the talk about motos radios stems largely from the years of 1x and 3g.. all manufacturers are having issues with LTE.. but the thing is that a lot of the data drop issues are on Verizon's end.

They make a tweak to the network and issues start popping up...

But the issue with the razr m could be similar to the issue with the razr after the ics release... remember?? All of a sudden we started getting worse signal readings with ics..

Idk... to many variables. :D but moto had better get it figured out. :banghead:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
In order to intentionally derail this a bit...

For years I've always heard/read that Motorola has the best radios, strongest signal, etc. etc. etc. Maybe this is just my historical ignorance coming through, but where did that idea come from?

If a software tweak can cause the Gnex to hold a 4G/LTE signal when I walk into a building at a similar level to the Razr Maxx, what makes Moto's "stronger"? I'm using the Gnex and Razr/Maxx as an example, b/c the Gnex has a class 3 radio which is actually capable of higher throughput than the Razr/Maxx's class 2 radio. I know that doesn't necessarily translate to "strength" and reliability, but I wonder sometimes if Moto's rep gets a little blown out of proportion.

I remember for the first 6 months of the Bionic's life, people "in the know" talking about how Moto reworked the Bionic's radio from scratch and how great it was. But tell that to all the Bionic owners.

I'm not saying there's no truth to it, but all I ever see/hear is hearsay, and I wonder sometimes if Samsung's "weak radio" and Moto's "strong radio" reputations are a bit overdone. But that's why I'm asking, so enlighten me! :)

It came from the fact that Motorola (in their original form prior to 2011) has been in the telecommunications game since 1928. Radios are what they do, plain and simple. There is a reason that Motorola communications products are so highly regarded in public safety and business use. If anyone understands radios, what makes them tick, and how they work; it's Motorola. Moto invented walkie talkies, and they invented cellular phones. If you look into a police car/fire engine/ambulance/etc, chances are very good that the radio system you will find will be a Motorola. It's not so much that other radios are "bad", it's just that Motorola's are so "good".